Moving stud wall back 60 cm

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by swellydave, Sep 16, 2014.

1. swellydave

swellydave New Member

Just a quickie. I am in the process of pushing back a non load bearing stud wall 600mm to accomodate built in wardrobes.
    1 when I fix the new plate to the ceiling can it be fixed through the original plasterboard or is it better to remove the board and fix straight to the joists.

2 when joining new plasterboard to the pre-existing do I need to remove the old skim and then tape, or do you fix the tape on top of the existing skim and put new skim over the top of the old (+3 coats of paint.)

ta for any advice.

2. H3xc0d3

H3xc0d3 Member

Yes you can just fit it up on to the old ceiling, for the repair you can remove a inch on both sides for joining tape then plaster and feather it in to the old ceiling, I've just done both of these while moving a wall in my bathroom, you may want to check that the ceiling on both side are the same level (mine was a few mm out)

3. swellydave

swellydave New Member

Cheers - thanks for that - I have to say I was surprised when I removed the old plasterboard that the original uprights failed to meet the old ceiling plate plate by up to 2cm!!!! In fact just about none of them met. Shrinkage???

I thought i could bodge things but that is a laugh that one.