Moving the cold water Tank

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Billy, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Billy

Billy New Member

I've just moved to a new house and I was intending to use the loft for storage. The situation is that the builders have placed the tank directly in the middle of the loft thus not allowing to reach either end without carefully manipulation. So I was intending to move the tank (inc. rad expansion tank) to one end against an outside wall. The questions/doubts I have is that if I lag between the tank and the outside wall will that be ok for freezing problems, the floor below is supported using all studded walls so I presuming structure shouldn't be a concern and the length of most of the pipes (inc. Hot water tank feed, mains supply) will now be about 330cm long in length. Will any of these issues (or any I have forgotten) be a problem?

2. handson

handson New Member

fit a combi boiler and you will solve all your problems in one hit ,bit expensive but long term savings in fuel consumption.

3. Make sure the pipe extensions are in big pipe sizes or you'll loose head - you can always raise the tank while you are doing this to give you better pressure.
    Its probably worth putting in some bleed valves to avoid air locks

4. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    One thing to consider, insulation, it’s best not to insulate under the cwst, around and on top, but not underneath. So remove the existing insulation where you are going the position it!

Regards
    Peter

5. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Ha! I’ve only just noticed the date on the post !

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Your not the only one Peter replying to 15 year old posts.[​IMG] :oops: