Moving the kitchen possible?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by David H123, Sep 14, 2014.

1. David H123

David H123 Member

The purpose of this thread is to find out if my dream is possible or pants!

After a bit of research, it would seem the biggest obstacle is installing the new waste pipe. Bearing in mind (or not!) that the floor is concrete, can the new waste pipe exit the same place as the current one or does a new exit have to be made such as the front of the house?

Floor Plan [GF].jpg

I don't really want to have any part of the outside dug up as it is all laid down with paving bricks and the driveway is shared. I had this idea that all I needed was to get the pros in to install the pipes and electrics from the original location and I can install the cabinets and flooring.

If it is possible or you've done work such as adding a new a new waste exit, how much roughly would it cost? I know the latter would probably depend where the drains are outside but if it's just too much then my dream is over!

In fact, can all the pipes and electrics run through a nice big fat channel in the concrete floor? For the sake of costs, I'll probably leave the combi where it is.

Thanks very much and hope you can help.

2. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Not enough info on your drawing to work out what you are trying to do for me. But yes it is possible to dig and lay in a new waste pipe. You'll need to ensure that you have sufficient fall and provide access points in case in gets blocked up and suitable venting as well. Digging up inside will be very messy / dirty work, you'll have dust everywhere which is why it would be best to run the new pipe outside.

Why don't you get some trades round and estimate for you, its a bit hard us trying to gestimate for you. Hope it works out for you.

3. David H123

David H123 Member

Thanks for your advice. I haven't actually moved into the property yet but when I do, I'll get some tradesmen in for quotes.

I've just seen a post in another forum where they used Saniflo for the kitchen. The waste was pumped up to join the soil stack! Saniflo's website states this is possible too. Whether this is wrong or not, I'm now wondering if there's no reason for the hot & cold pipes to run off the upstairs bathroom's where the pipes run along under the first floor floorboards and down the wall of where I want the new kitchen. Could I do this for the gas too?

This would cut out the need to chase the concrete from the old kitchen.

Thanks again.

4. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

A Saniflo is a possibility, but if you fit one I think that you'll come to regret it. They are on the noisy side and a pain when they pack up and your kitchen will be a no go area if you don't pay your electric bill (or its a cold winter and they cannot generate enough electricity).

5. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

Waste can be chased in floor for sure, use 2" pipe & glued fittings with plenty of glue, allow for thermal expansion, don't clip it down tight, wrap in hair felt & secure only where needed with strap band across, make the chase wide as poss within reason or you risk squeaky noises & cracked fittings or cracked floor etc

6. David H123

David H123 Member

7. Still very tricky to work out where this pipe is going/coming from...

I'm guessing - from looking at the photo and the plan and then the photo and back to the plan... - that in the photo, the current kitchen is on the other side of the wall on the right? And the current units on the far side of that room - so you need to cross that room's floor too?

And you now want the units to be up in the 'nearest left' corner in that photo?

As explained above, gas and water supplies aren't the main problem as they are delivered under pressure (especially if the water is from a combo boiler...) but the waste needs to be on a fall. Really, avoid Saniflow - can you imagine the darned thing firing up every single time you turn on the tap? 'Twill drive you nuts.

Is there a suitable drain out the back of the house? If so, I think I'd be inclined to try running the waste pipe along that left hand wall behind the units as far as they go, and then just box them in the rest of the way. By 'box', this could be low to the floor - about a foot will be the lowest you could go - or else make it high (eg unit height) with a shelf on top. Once at the wall, you'll need to get it to a soil pipe which will likely need a bit of digging, but hey.

Water and gas - just find the best route. This could be above the ceiling and down that corner or whatever.

Chasing a waste pipe into the floor - it'll need to be deep enough to allow the fall, but not so deep you cut into your DPM...

8. David H123

David H123 Member

Thanks very much for your detailed reply. I really appreciate it.

I think I'm beginning to understand the technicalities a bit because your recommendation about running the pipe along the left wall is what I was also wondering.

Apologies for the vague photo, it was the best one I had and you're right - the kitchen is behind that wall. The sink is below a window facing the garden and the waste pipe comes out from that wall. I was also wondering if I did run the pipe along the left wall like you suggested and out of the wall facing the garden, could I then run the remainder of the pipe along this wall (under the french doors) to the drain that is under the kitchen window? I think there's enough drop to continue the decline or doesn't it work that way. This could save me from any digging or chasing for ALL the pipes. If I was to do a bit of digging then would that become redundant if I were to put an extension on?

Thanks again.

9. In theory there will be enough fall, 'cos the fall doesn't have to be large - hopefully someone on here will tell us what the min is?

Your idea would, tho', be a long distance for a 1.75" waste pipe, and I suspect it ain't recommended. That's not to say it won't work.

As you suspect, the usual thing would be to dig a trench along that outside wall an shove a 4" soil pipe in there.

In any case, how would this help with your other pipes - has and water?

I guess you could run that waste pipe as a 'temp' measure, because if you build an extension out the back in the future, the redesigning of soil pipes will be part of it, and just a small part of the overall task.

10. David H123

David H123 Member

With the gas and water supply pipes, I meant if I could get away without chasing the concrete for the waste pipe then I wouldn't need to chase at all (apart from the new kitchen wall to the island unit for gas) as they can run up and over. If I did have to end up chasing for the waste pipe then I might as well put them all together.

I've been told that I could simply phone up or get the council's building inspector to come round and tell me if it's possible. I don't know if that's true or not but I suppose that would be definitive if it was.

I think the next obstacle that would lie ahead if running the waste pipe along the wall was feasible, would be negotiating it around a chimney breast if that itself was possible! I want to remove that thing anyway but that's for my next thread!

If only money was no object then I would be a very happy bunny!

Thanks very much.

11. Aargh - chimney breast?

Stupid Q - is your house terraced or semi'd?

Looking more like a channel in the floor will be needed, but I'd still be inclined to take it straight out the back - shorter distance = less depth required.