Multi Fuel burner

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Sidney twineham, May 17, 2015.

1. Sidney twineham

Sidney twineham New Member

Hi all,

I have just ripped up a large area of tongue and groove wooden flooring. I am about to install a multi fuel burner and wondered if it would be okay to burn this (manafactured) wood on the fire?

I realise that this will burn okay, but I'm thinking that burning this flooring may cause damage to my new burner.

Thanks in advance,

Sidney

2. Sidney twineham

This is said wood

Attached Files:

3. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

I'd burn that in mine, can't see how it could damage it as such.

I'm forever taking any scrap wood I can get to keep the burner running, it's cheaper than the boiler to keep the house warm. Some people might advise against it, but I burn old floorboards, rubbish, laminate, ply, it all makes fire and keeps the house warm.

The biggest considerations would be if you are in a smoke control zone, and if you have a DEFRA approved stove with the smoke control kit thingy on it.

Downside to burning fuels that aren't as clean as smokeless coal and alike is the muck - if I burn smokeless coal on my burner, the glass pretty much stays clean. When I'm burning old floorboards it builds up and gets blacker and blacker, then eventually cleans up as the residue on the glass burns up. The chimney might need sweeping more often if you regularly burn scrap wood etc, I get mine done every year. All that being said, I'd still burn it.

mr moose likes this.
  4. Sidney twineham

Many thanks for your reply.
    I am not in a smoke controlled area, but I will give a couple of pieces a go maybe to see how it burns. I don't like yo burn wood if it's not very clean, if you know what I mean.
    Thanks again gpierce.
    Sid

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Had a multi fuel at a previous place,use any wood I could get, the only exception was any wood that had been cresoted, or had bitumen on it,