Multi-testers, difference between kt63, 64, and 65?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Mattja111, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Mattja111

Mattja111 New Member

I'm aware the 65 can be used for three-phase, however I'm just starting out as a domestic installer and won't be dealing with three-phase, except possibly under supervision of someone who is qualified to deal with it.

So besides that, what is the difference between them?

P.S. I used the kt64 in training, and having heard the kewtech testers are more user friendly I'm probably best sticking to them for now.

P.P.S. while I'm at it, any recommendations of wire tracers (specifically for following a wire hidden behind a wall) for dead/live wires that work well and won't break the bank?

2. How many years did you serve as an apprentice?

3. Mattja111

Mattja111 New Member

I did a month long course to cover the regs and basics and get an idea of if I actually want to go ahead and start a career as an electrician, and I'm now going to be spending probably the next year or so basically working as an electricians mate to learn the rest, but they want me to get most of my own kit, so probably best if I get my own tester. (I come from previously being a physics student so not totally starting from scratch)

4. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

5. Bazza-spark

6. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

I've got a KT63 (i think) it takes forever to do a no-trip loop test, imagine stretching up to a celing rose and fumbling about trying to get 3 leads into the terminals and all the machine does is

WAIT...bleep.....WAIT...bleep....WAIT...bleep... for 20 seconds before it gets a reading, you feel like launching it out the window, especially when after 18 seconds the earth clip falls off.

7. Bazza-spark

lol :D:D:D:D:D

8. Mattja111

Mattja111 New Member

Cheers Bazza!

Haha yeah the KT64 was like that too. But I figure if I can deal with a week plastering ceilings I can deal with a few minutes to test the lights. ;)

9. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Took some good advice from here and bought a Megger 1720 cracking machine if you want basic then 1711 is ideal

10. Neveryoumind

Neveryoumind Active Member

Tell me this, did the course you did allow you to work as an electrician without supervision? What i mean is, are you qualified now? Able to be called an electrician?

11. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

Bliddy hell it was 6 weeks now its 4 and a Sweetie Paper issued with C&G on it

12. Neveryoumind

Neveryoumind Active Member

There's got to be a catch, the first things an employer asks is "how long have you been sparking" or "who did you serve your time with" if you answer with 4 weeks and no one then the door closes on your face

What about a JIB card? JIB rate?

13. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

He did say he was getting a job as an electricians mate first, which is fair enough.

14. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

It took my apprentice at least a year to get the hang of things it takes time to do things to a good standard, there a world of difference to knowing and doing, these short courses are a joke!!!

Bazza-spark likes this.