Multi tool capabilities ...?

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Tiny01, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Tiny01

Tiny01 Member

After a bit of advice before maybe purchasing a multi tool .

4th Jan I start a new contract seeing the removal of a combination of 400 existing steel Windows & screens .

The current set up on site is a steel subframe that's going to remain in situ with an odd leg Steel window fixed to it , have removed 18 so far but want to try & speed up the process , currently remove the glass & undo the screw , bearing in mind it's a slotted M6 X 50mm machine screw , 9mm slotted screwdriver been the best tool so far to clean the old bedding compound out the head of the slot & then slotted bit in the impact driver & release , repeat head , cill & jamb & the window falls out easily but you only get one shot at the screw if you **** the head it's good night & out comes the lump hammer & chisel to chop the fixing !
    Now what I'm thinking is one of these multi tools , reckon I could get it in the gap between subframe & window & cut the fixing if the gaps tight I can remove the gut bar ( transome ) & knock a thin bar into allow a bit of a gap for the blade

I've looked @ these tools for a while now but not really convinced , seem OK in the showroom of my local tool supplier messing about on a bit of softwood but this is a bit different .

Anyone use one , think it would be suitable ? Best one & blade etc ..

I'm all ears !!!

A pic to explain what I'm trying to achieve

image.jpeg

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    tore81 and Tiny01 like this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Maybe this blade, depends on the hardness of your machine screw,usually pretty easy to cut.

http://www.saxtonblades.co.uk/35mm-heavy-metal-blade-p498

Also I considered a sabre saw (Reciprocating Saw), but I reckon with a 150mm blade, it would be difficult to control, blade flexing, bending, etc, but you can adjust the shoe & blade guide on my Hitachi sabre saw, so might be ok.

http://www.saxtonblades.co.uk/150mm-metal-blade---r622bf-p213

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gsa1100-e-1100w-reciprocating-saw-240v/74966

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    tore81 likes this.
  4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Other options are a recipricating saw, a jigsaw, an angle grinder with a slitting blade or an air powered hacksaw.

5. Tiny01

Tiny01 Member

Thanks fellas , yep got sabre saws they only come out for the timber subframes & light Alliminium work otherwise we tear out blades & they bend up , would usually use a grinder but it's a " live " primary school I'm working in although the kids will be moved well out the way of the rooms that I'm working in I can't be making sparks & to much noise !

Think I'll try the multi tool with the above mentioned blades then , just have to decide on witch one to purchase :)

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I recently replaced a house with crittal type steel windows with steel outer frames.

the outer frame acted as the lintel, and was built into the brickwork, so had to put in single leaf catnics.

I think the way that you are going is the best method to go about it. although the multi tool is good and has its uses, the screw is likely to be hardened so will struggle to cut through it, if you use an angle grinder any damage to the frame will need touching up as they are likely to be galvainsed steel.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I just looked at my sabre saw, allowing for the length of stroke, you could cut down a 150mm metal cutting blade to a shorter usable length & safely use it to cut those screws.

8. Tiny01

Tiny01 Member

Yeah might try that K good idea thanks , think I still gotta get a multi tool to try won't hurt to have it in the kit eh ;)

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

10. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

I have the Erbauer cordless multi-tool; it's the second one in the space of a few weeks. I doubt this one will last much longer...

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Cheap Chinese C***.:eek:

Can't beat Bosch or some other quailty brand.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Just out of interest, what replacement windows will be fitted?

13. Biffo

Biffo Member

shark saw all day long

14. Tiny01

Tiny01 Member

Comar 9 framing going back into the screens , Comar Eco window section going back into the hole in the wall Windows mate

15. Tiny01

Tiny01 Member

I went for the fein machine in the end as it seemed a bit better than the Bosch machine , the Bosch one you needed an alley key to change the blade where as the fein one you just pull up the handle & change it so nothing to lose lol !

My tool supplier recommended some blades that he guarantees will **** through the machine fixing screws so we shall see , also found some very short recip saw blades only 4" total in length that supposedly cut 3-8mm metal so we shall see what works best on Monday :)

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I've got the Fein, excellent choice.

Tiny01 likes this.
  17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

To be honest I would never use a gadget like that.
    I generally use mine where someone has got their tolerances a bit tight or forgotten about a bolt and you just need to nibble a bit of timber out in situ rather than take a panel off and take it to the workbench and a multitude of "Oh bugger" tasks.

tore81 likes this.
  19. Tiny01

Tiny01 Member

No thanks for the advice & KIAB as well , multi tool is the dogs danglies it ****** through the fixings , best tool in me box now lol , but hey it vibrates the old arms doesn't it !

image.jpeg