Multi tool sanding backers

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by sospan, Mar 7, 2017.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Anybody found a long lasting sanding backer for a multi -tool - the triangular pad that sandpaper attaches to.

Tried quite a few brands and they all last for a while and then fail to grip to the sandpaper. Haven't tried the Saxton ones though

I don't particularly like using them, but for sanding down door frames and the corners of stair treads, there aren't many sanders smaller than 1/4 sheet and the dedicated triangular detail sanders use the same sort of pads.

Any body got any recommendations on pads ?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  3. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

And price ... when I was travelling there around once a month, if I had the chance I would often pick up hand tool and accessories and good prices. I have a couple of the backing pads from there which cost me next to nothing.

Bessey clamps - made in Germany. Costs for a specific set (converted to GBP) Germany £110; UK £115-120 which is a reasonable difference to allow for extra shipping and higher VAT. USA £65 - yes sixty five ... and it was for the same set which the box confirms "Made in Germany" with all the additional shipping costs too.

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I wish the Bosch CSW41 or Makita worm drive saw was available here, & Bosch 10" sliding mitre saw CM10GD (below) far superior.

[​IMG]

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

its the pad for the Bosch PMF multitool.

Sanding down gloss paint from old architraves and stairs takes it toll. The clothes iron shaped ones are bit too for what I need.

Tried some of the sanders with the plug in profiles like this, some had velcro which was quite expensive to keep

upload_2017-3-7_14-39-25.png

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Bessey clamps have been on my "Wanted" list for sometime but as you say no way too expensive over here. Strangely shipping from the US isn't cheap.

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Going to replace both my mitre saws in the next few months, the big Dewalt saw haven't used in about 18 months and the Metabo is now the tool that produces the most dust - even with an extractor. So will be looking for a mid sized saw - timing will be interesting, off loading mine while watching for a bargain

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

If you find one Sos...let me know. I have a few other cheapy (Titan) sanders bought on a whim, but work ok that are suffering a similar fate. Just bought some Velcro sheet to see if I can put them back to work!! :)

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

May try the Saxton ones or pay top wack and get the Fein and an adaptor.

Festool make a couple: the Rotex 90 had a detail Sander setting :)eek:) and there is the RTS 400 Rutcher but its another £250+ £379 with Screwfix actually being the cheapest for the Rotex :eek:

CGN likes this.
  10. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

After trying a number of different brands I've ended up buying Fein sanding sheets to stick on my original Fein backing pads. Expensive on the face of it but longer lasting and once they're on they don't come off and put up some resistance to you actually taking them off deliberately. I buy the sheets in boxes of 50 but you do have to shop around for a good deal. The important thing is to allow for them in the consumables section of the invoice to the client!