Multi tool

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by echelon101, Apr 6, 2016.

1. echelon101

echelon101 Member

Hello

I am going to be taken up some chipboard floor boards. The boards lip under the skirting, which I am not going to cut. My plan is to cut the chipboard up to the skirting using a multi tool and the fix a batton. I will also use the multi tool to take out the lips of some of the boards to lift them.

I have gone down the multi tool route because: it can cut chipboard well, it can get up close to the skirting, it can do other things. I don't particularly want to buy a circular saw although I appreciate it may be easier for the specific task.

I have looked around the forum, my limit is £100 (including bits to do the job). I don't mind corded or cordless.

The Fein 250 looks good at £110, but the Dewalt and Bosch GOP are £100 on the website. I need to do the job on the 24rd. I am a DIYer not a professional, is it worth going downmarket to Erbauer/Workx/Energer/Titan ?

Thanks for reading this far, look forward to your response.

2. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I really haven't got a clue about multi-tools,but if you are working at home,then I would go for corded. 240v kit is much cheaper than cordless,as you don't have to pay for batteries & chargers. If you have mains power then use it. :):)

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If you can afford the Fein corded then go for it.Buy replacement blades off fleabay tho. Sexton are a fraction of the price

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek::p

It's Saxton blades, Chips.:)

http://www.saxtonblades.co.uk/

FEIN FMT 250 is very good, has 3 years warrenty, but it doesn't have the QuickIN rapid change system you find on FEIN FMM 350Q model, instead it uses a allen key same as the Bosch GOP, which is what I have, both excellent tools.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Avoid cheap brands like Erbauer/Workx/Energer/Titan, no spares for these makes, go for quailty brand like Fein FMT 250,Bosch GOP.

Bosch GOP2000 only comes with 1 year warrenty,(SF exculsive) whereas other Bosch GOP's have 3 year warrenty, Fein would be my choice, but Bosch GOP 250 can be found for under a £100 (bare).

6. echelon101

echelon101 Member

Thanks for the replies. Having a look at the Fein.

FMT 250 (manual tool holder) - £105
    FMT 250Q (Q IN tool holder) - Out of stock generally, out dated I guess
    FMT 250SL (Star lock tool holder) - £110
    Bosch GOP250 - £100, some reviews on axminster say it has reliability issues.

Starlock
    http://www.installeronline.co.uk/starlock-mounting-system/
    and
    https://www.angliatoolcentre.co.uk/...unting-system-from-fein-and-bosch-bgid42.html

So veering towards the fein 250SL. I don't think I need something more powerful.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Bosch GOP250 got one, had it years, been very well used,never have any problems with it.

I do like that FMT 250SL, so much easier than a allen key, BUT the blade have a different hole arrangement, unless Saxton Blades offer those blades cheaper, then you stuck with paying for expensive blades.
    Would check with Saxton Blades & see if they are going to stock the new blades.

8. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I bought the Dewalt DWE315SF from our hosts when it was reduced to £65 I think. Also from support here Saxton blades. Very happy with both. The Dewalt has two triggers so it's easy to use in most positions.

The one thing to watch is you are cutting through the floor is for pipes cables etc sitting close to the underside as you don't have the depth control you would have on a circular saw and the blade will be through the pipe or cable before you know whats happened!

PS the dewalt is a quick change blade system and very easy to do

9. echelon101

echelon101 Member

Got a detector
    Might drain the system
    Might get this http://www.saxtonblades.co.uk/product_info.php/flooring-blade-p-499

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

All I do for a guide line is measure 20mm on multi blade & use tape stuck on or some tipex (think it is) as a marker on the blade.

11. echelon101

echelon101 Member

Is that the semi circle one or the plunge cut? I like that idea though.

ITS has the manual at £90 at the moment. But really, tempted for SL still.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I use it on these blades, can be any depth you want, with straight blades you can wrap all the way around the blade.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Sorry, yes Saxton, I was typing on a phone, you want the tool less blade change and the Saxton blades fit it.

14. echelon101

echelon101 Member

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Don't forget to register online for the 3 year warrenty.:)

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If you can get the Fein with the extractor extension it's worth it if you're doing a lot of sanding.

17. echelon101

echelon101 Member

Luckily I have a garden. I have learned many times that if I am going to sand indoors I ll do it by hand. At the moment the on sending in the pipeline is Ikea and garden stuff.

18. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Has to be a FEIN ... mine is maybe 9 years old and in great shape.

19. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Lidl special here, cost 19.99.... Still going strong a year later. :D

20. echelon101

echelon101 Member

It was my birthday, felt like splashing out. I do also have a ryobi sander, an energer jig saw and Titan sds.