Multi tool

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by echelon101, Apr 6, 2016.

1. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Lidl have a Sabre saw on special offer this week, with 3 year warrenty, only £29:99pp.:eek:

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You must like duff tools.:)

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wouldn't lower myself to buy one.

4. echelon101

echelon101 Member

Goes back to the cheap vs expensive paint brush dilemma. Buy one for every job or get one and reuse again and again.

5. echelon101

echelon101 Member

Update:

Bought the Fein 250SL and the Saxton 70 bits kit (I would probably buy more blades, the kit came with loads of sandpaper). I took up my floorboards today, nasty chipboard.

Fein was really good although I have no comparison. I used the circular saw blade as it was coincidently the same thickness as my boards. I drained the CH system prior to the job anyway. Cut the lip off the boards, cut the gripper rods and cut through 2m of 2mm board. Also cut a nail. So got the full use out of it.

Banging pipes were not restrained at all, but there was no where to clip them so just lagged them all.

Thanks for the suggestions ;)

Attached Files:

KIAB and chippie244 like this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

7. echelon101

echelon101 Member

Yes. The pipes are still knocking less noisy. Are the nail ones reliable? I was going to go to sf and try the copper shoulder ones or double clip. They are only a few quid for 10. The pipes go across the room to the right completely unrestrained. But I managed to put 3m of lagging onto them.

I am not doing anymore cutting as I need to sleep in the room.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Never had a problem using them, could also try using Copper Saddle Clips 15mm from SF competitor, but they need some packing around pipe, otherwise you may get a clicking sound as pipes expand when hot.

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Just wonder how many DIY disasters have been caused by those clips - missing the nail and hitting the pipe or as my brother did once used the nail to fix a cable through the centre then asked me how the clip hides the nail :(

10. echelon101

echelon101 Member

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Looks like an old floorboards have been removed, as fixings shown on joists.

Do you think the bearers were fixed in order to level the floor? Looks like old house with lath and plaster ceiling.

Now that the tongue/groove of the chipboard is cut, what will you put here as the the end is not resting on a joist?

12. echelon101

echelon101 Member

I bought the nail down clips.

As for boards without lips, in one place I made a batten lip and then screwed into that. In another, I drove some woodscrews into the small joint. The joint was only slightly moving and this stopped it. that joint is also under the bed.

The joints are quite closely centred and the boards are quite stiff, so there isn't much movement anyway. I tested with my body weight.

13. echelon101

echelon101 Member

I will try to attach the clip to the pipe (when cold) first then nail

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Clips should be fine, still use the double ones for the single pipe.

It looks like the height of the bearer reduces further away, so may struggle to get a clip near there.

Best to screw the clips down.

echelon101 likes this.
  15. echelon101

echelon101 Member

Bought the nail down ones, the bearers come up in the corner and I don't want to do any more cutting as now sleeping in the room.they should last for a few years before I sell :)

16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Will need to put some wrapping around where they meet on joist as K, pipes will expand and contract when hot so will rub on joist.

17. echelon101

echelon101 Member

I actually finished the job with all the pipes lagged there was still some noise. Will use clips, if there is still some noise, I will put up with it, much less with lagging now.. I have someone doing the carpet in the rest of the house on Saturday, so I am going to get the one I took up professionally put down.

18. echelon101

echelon101 Member

Clips ready to be wacked in for this evening. Too many?

Have also posted under the board where the pipes goes right, pushed 3m of lagging in there, wwhich is the widget of the room from there.

Attached Files:

KIAB likes this.
  19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Well cliped, that should stop any noise, plus insulation.:)

20. echelon101

echelon101 Member

Great, drive them in tonight and relag