multipoint

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by harry, Sep 5, 2015.

1. harry

harry Member

I am replacing a main mersey with a more modern main multipoint. The hot,cold, and gas pipes are in the same order but the casing is about 4" higher. Will the flue be in the same place? Thanks, Harry

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Depends on new boiler, annoying, but a simple job to extend copper if nesscesssary.

3. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

As its gas you shouldnt be touching it. Get a Gas Safe registered installer in. May be cheaper to do it your self but you may well end up killing someone.

4. harry

harry Member

As the previous multipoint was installed by myself 15 years ago It seems that I am competent to install it's replacement. I asked the question to verify that it will be a straight swap for the old unit. I have only ever had trouble with gas when British Gas connected my meter and left off the fibre washer on the flexi pipe, filling my cellar with gas. Luckily I smelled the gas before flicking the light switch and blowing the house up. Remember the Ronan Point disaster? They were gas safe/corgi registered.

5. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

Harry, look up a Rinnai multi-point. The best! They also have an externally mounted unit to save space. The RR of multi-points. Made in Japan.

Harry, Ronan point was before Gas registration and was the impetus for the registration. But you are right, no DIYer worked on Ronan Point. There are gas qualifications, heating qualifications and plumbing qualifications. They overlap. The gas side of plumbing is small in the course. As gas and heating run through pipes plumbers think it is their field. The reality is it is not. Heating and gas burners have nothing to do with drains. I would not trust a plumber who has been fitting drains for a years work on my boilers forced air burner.

The H&S Executive are more concerned these day about unregistered installers charging money and producing appalling jobs. DIYer are not on their radar. Most DIYers find out what to do (the research), as you can see on this forum, and then do it properly.