Must I use foil backed plasterboard?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Cornish Crofter, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

I'm doing rather well getting slight seconds of plasterboard at the moment and have got heaps of non foil backed 12.5mm to use in my basement but I have no foilbacked plaster board.

The insulation I am using has been approved by the BCO but is not foil backed either.

Is it a must for any reason to use the foil backed stuff, or have foil there, or can I do without or use builders paper (left over from another job)?

Thanks in advance

2. Charlie Far!ey

Charlie Far!ey New Member

No
    Foil backed would be required when used in a roof space but in a beasement you will need to insulate to retain heat and noise with 150mm of glass fibre

Your BCO is right and he will offer the requirement but while its open put in the insulation its as cheap as verystupidmans boyfriends suits and easy to install.

3. Cornish Crofter

Thanks for your advice regarding insulation Charlie

The insulation I have used is actually Kingspan thermotaper 70 to 85 mm. I understand from the BCO that it's a much higher u value than the fibreglass insulation, and I don't have 150mm to fit it. It sounds an expensive way of doing it I know but doing the whole area is actually going to cost me around £70 as I got 28 1200X1200 slightly soiled sheets for £135 delivered via e bay.

Included in the slightly soiled plasterboard I've got hold of (for £1 a sheet) was 2 foil backed sheets, so I've used them here anyway. It's great to know that I can use the rest instead of having to pay the going rate for the foil backed stuff.

These boards were bought from a large Builders Merchant chain as seconds as they have all suffered slight damage on the edges or corners. I am using them in such a way that the damaged areas are being cut off and disposed of.

Thanks again.

CC

4. Cornish Crofter

Thanks for your advice regarding insulation Charlie

Sorry, that was meant to read "Thanks for all your advice including that for the insulation :)"

CC