My basement HELP!

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by tankedout, Jul 27, 2015.

1. tankedout

tankedout New Member

Hello,

I have had an issue with my basement being damp for a while and was advised to have it tanked, i got a builder who has tanked it, though three months later it appears to be coming away from the walls (see attached) any ideas as to what has caused this please?

thanks

Attached Files:

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Excessive damp, it appears not to have stuck to the wall very well, the dark patches look like they are wet, not just damp.

How damp/wet was it before it was tanked, maybe a different system required, something with a sump pump???

3. tankedout

tankedout New Member

Hi Phil,

Thanks for replying, it was damp to the point you could smell it upstairs but there was no visible water. could it be caused just by the wall not being prepared properly prior to the tanking being added to the walls?

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Not an expert on tanking, but from the pic, it does appear not to have stuck very well, the system used appears to be a slurry type, do you know what they used??

5. tankedout

tankedout New Member

sorry i don't, though I saw them bring in two large bucket shaped containers of powder which they mixed and painted on with brushes?

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

You prob need a proper membrane fitted and then dry lined.

7. Did they provide any sort of warranty for the work?

In any case, they should really come back and sort this, 'cos it hasn't solved the problem.

Lot's of tanking products out there, some of which are reckoned to be very effective (the cement-based ones, I think?).

Let us know what they say.