My boiler is leaking

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by okenshield, Mar 11, 2014.

1. okenshield

okenshield New Member

Hi people, can anyone tell me why my boiler may be leaking? last night is was flashing a S/F and wouldn't work but this morning it does but is leaking (see photo) - thanks :)

Attached Files:

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

From what I can see that's either an ideal icos or isar. Your leak looks like it could be from the condense sump gasket. Not really a DIY job as the condense sump is an integral part of the fluing system and done wrong could expose you to the products of combustion. Your safest bet would be to make a phone call to your local gas safe service engineer.

3. okenshield

okenshield New Member

thought it might not be a quick fix - do you think it would be ok until I sort out engineer otherwise won't have hot water?

4. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Can't say for sure without being in front of it, sorry

5. okenshield

okenshield New Member

ok thanks anyway :)

6. rodroc

rodroc New Member

I think that Dave made some good points here and that having a professional plumber or expert in water heaters is something that you must do. Doesn't really look like a DIY job. Hope you get this fixed soon.

7. jAZZbASS

jAZZbASS New Member

Not sure if it's ok to mention but there is a brilliant thing now on the market, best to install this with the boiler, or failing that fit it yourself afterwards. If you have a leak you have no worries about damaged goods, or anything other than getting the leak repaired.

8. jAZZbASS

jAZZbASS New Member

Sorry D.ADV not sure what the sheesh meant.... lol sheeesh kebab, or you like the product

9. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Not sure about that one.o_O

10. Oh chust cynical me, Jazz.

Really, how much damage is caused by leaking boilers? Where else should I shove one of them trays (careful...) - under my bath? Kitchen sink? Under my chin for when I dribble... :oops:

plumberboy likes this.
  11. plumberboy

I'm totally with on that one DA.

12. plumberboy

I'm totally with on that one DA.

13. To be sure, to be sure.

14. jAZZbASS

jAZZbASS New Member

Well I expected some cynasism... like the video demonstrates.. under the boiler. If my dear old Mum had one fitted before the leak in her old bolier, would have saved her a lot of hassle. Ok the insurance paid out, but there was weeks of hassle with plumber, plasterer, decorator etc... If the boliers dont leak, no problem. Butn if they do and you are out, or on holiday, the leak could go unnoticed long enough to put a fair bit of water out.nI recognise leaks occur in other places but Rome wasn't built in a day, but it flooded in one .... or was it a fire, I can't remember...

15. Keep fiddling... :p

16. I know someone who fitted one of these under their washing machine. And a radiator leaked.

His neighb cunningly fitted one under each radiator. And their toilet leaked.

And another fitted one under every radiator, kitchen and bath sink, shower, washing machine and condensing tumble drier. Oh, and their boiler. And their car radiator leaked.

So they now have a huge one on their driveway that they park their car on every night.

I made some of that up.

17. Biochef

Biochef Member

It isn't all that, bust pipes go everywhere that tray doesn't catch water going down wall behind pipes cos tray stops in front of them

18. jAZZbASS

jAZZbASS New Member

Good point biochef, Well like it or not, the insurance companies and a number of housing authorities do, Yes it only covers 1 item or risk, and yes there are lots of places that leaks occur, you all know a lot more about it than me. Go invent something yourselves, and good luck to you

19. plumberboy

I won't be inventing anything! I like leaks they keep us plumbers busy and chippies, plasterer's, decorators, etc,etc,That's what makes the world go round,and nearly all leaks I go to are on pipework and fittings.
    So this tray is getting bigger and bigger and as DA says where do you stop or start.