my celotex cutting 'invention'!

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by barnjules, Jan 28, 2015.

1. barnjules

barnjules Member

..Annoying really,as i came up with this today when I'm nearly done with insulating my barn conversion roof(between and under rafters),but it works brilliantly for me.

I got an extra long jigsaw blade ( that was rubbish for cutting thick timber,wandered all over the place)

Took it to my bench grinder, ground all the teeth off,and created a bevel on both sides so it was sharp like a knife..and gave it a try....

Bloddy brilliant!!...very clean smooth quick cuts..and best of all,no dust!! Yes,the blade wandered a bit,not totally square,but if you take it easy,it's not bad at all,especially as i like to cut my pieces a bit small and foam the gaps after fitting, so a totally square cut isn't needed. ...then i fixed a bit of thin-ish ply to the base plate of the jigsaw,about 200x200,and i got a much more square cut, as I'm using 'seconds' boards that have an irregular surface,here and there. The blade will cut up to 150mm,my boards are 75's,looking foreward to trying it on 100mm boards when i insulate the floor...

Now I'm waiting for some clever sod tell me there's a much better way to do it....but is there another 'dust free',way??:rolleyes:

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

At my last place of work someone used a hacksaw blade and ground the edges, it became a sharp knife for cutting insulation.

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Personally, I just use a saw, why complicate things.

4. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

Minimising dust, should be a good thing, surely ??

why go to the trouble of grinding the teeth of a saw blade, when you could use a double edged knife in the 1st instance

5. barnjules

barnjules Member

Phil..i found it pretty dam complicated wearing dust masks all the time (which always make me specs steam up!),hoovering up loads of dust,and positioning boards so i can cut with a panel saw. Now i whizz through the stuff with the jigsaw...

And welsh dragon,..I'm using the modified blade on my jigsaw,not by hand! Ifind that a serrated bread knife is good for hand cutting little fiddly bits though

6. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

I use a plasterboard saw. Quick and accurate enough if you are careful.

7. barnjules

barnjules Member

Does a plasterboard saw produce less dust than a normal wood saw?
    I have so far cut and fitted 80 1200x2400 sheets of celotex on my own,and to be honest, the dust drove me mad. That's why i experimented,and am now using a jigsaw with the above mentioned toothless,'knife blade'! Works a treat..virtually dust free!

8. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

Yip its a good idea, no dust and a nice clean cut. Maybe thats why Bosch started making them about 10 years ago.:):)

9. barnjules

barnjules Member

Haha!! ..ok, i did wonder if it had been thought of before,as it works so well. But aren't you impressed that i thought the idea up myself??:rolleyes:
    The long wood blades were cr*p anyway,so I've turned them into summin useful :)

10. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

11. barnjules

barnjules Member

It's a giant upsidedown pizza cutter!!!:D

12. barnjules

barnjules Member

...it would be relatively easy to make if you had a mig welder.
    How about a variation where the jig holding the circular blade sits on top of the sheet of insulation,and you pull/push it along the sheet...bit like an un- powered circular saw. The blade would have to be thin and very sharp,and the frame/body that the blade is mounted to would need some weight to it?!?.....or....(potentially dodgy)....grind the teeth off a circular saw,and have a powered pizza cutter!!:D

Daverobs likes this.
  13. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

All you'll need on site is the Pizza Oven, ingredients are optional :D:D:D

14. barnjules

barnjules Member

Ahh yes,sounds good,i can imagine it now....
    "Would you like grated cheese on that,or perhaps a sprinkling of celotex dust?..oh, you're a kingspan man,no problem sir" :D:D:D

15. Ken Hart

Ken Hart New Member

I am just about to start cutting Celotex boards so would love to find this Bosch product. What is it please?

16. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Jules, thanks for the heads up. That's one of the things this site is all about, tips and problem solving.

I hate celotex dust, in fact I hate dust, period. Mind you the last time I cut celotex was on my diesel site saw in the open and I nearly made myself sick!

Is there any mileage in developing the same idea for a reciprocating saw?

Good luck with the barn conversion, put some photo's up will you?

17. roughberty

roughberty Member

I use an old blunt pullsaw, cuts 4" and 5" celotex no sweat. Fine teeth, not much dust.