my first job

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Goro, May 2, 2015.

1. Goro

Goro New Member

Hi everyone and thanks for looking into this,

a friend of mine who is not really bother with the quality of the job asked me to do his Bathroom (Wall tiling)
    now he is aware that i am not a professional and i only did it a couple of time for friends as a favor....
    out of his kindness and to encourage me his offering what ever it would cost him if he hired a professional

would you guys be able to help me to estimate this job please (bathroom is 3m x 2m , just walls no old tiles to rib off.

Regards

2. No idea.

But unless you do a completely professional job in all respects, then how could you possibly accept the same payment a professional would expect?

3. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

the tiler I use charges £25 per square meter and he's a first class tiler, so he'd charge £150 for your job and it would take him half a day,

4. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

Take your time, do your very best , and you might get more work through this one job . So don't think too much about the money just now . It'll be great experience for you and you'll get faster in the future. With a bit of luck, you'll also get the £150. Hope it goes well for you Goro .

5. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Also, you would be better off using a slow setting adhesive, but that would mean going back the following day to grout.

So it'll be a day and a half, money wise. That bits up to you.

Gatt likes this.
  6. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

Going rate for a pro in Liverpool is anywhere from £16-£20 per square metre with the tiler supplying the Adhesive. A bathroom 3mx 2m assuming a ceiling height of 2.4m comes in at 24sq/m so here a pro would charge between £384 and £480. But if you're only starting out I wouldn't dare charge a mate anywhere near that.

7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Good shout on measurements but I'm sure there's at least a door and possibly a window so it's going to be around the 20m2 area, that only if there's no fixtures and fittings in place.

Or do you charge the whole area as a rate, which allows for cutting and messing about around awkward areas.

8. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

my bad, I knock off 2m for a door but nothing for a window as you have the reveals of the window to tile and they are all cuts. So would be 22 sq/m not 24sq/m

9. Goro

Goro New Member

as i said the guy is trying to help me and willing to pay that regardless whats the results are. :S

10. Goro

Goro New Member

thank you all for your advice and support ..... wish me a good luck :)
    i shall let you know what the outcome :D

11. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

Post the photo's when you're done (before, during and after)