My first project - Go easy on me LoL

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by mafalus, Jan 11, 2017.

1. mafalus

mafalus Member

Hi Everyone
    I just completed my first project (a workbench) and would greatly appreciate some advice on the finish for it. The frame is pine wood the remainder is MDF. I have trawled the web and the forums here but I am none the wiser. Can anyone offer any advice on the best finish, was thinking of perhaps a clear finish.

Many thanks

MyFirstProject.jpg

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Think it may look good just to use an opaque acrylic satin (Semi Gloss) paint on the frame and a clear sealer on the cupboard, drawer and bench top.

3. mafalus

mafalus Member

Thanks Astramax, as I am a novice to paint can you recommend any particular ones please, would be greatly appreciated

4. Thats good, especially for a 1st project.

Is it being used indoors (garage etc) or exposed at all?

Is the floor or the air damp or likely to get wet?

Is it on show and seen often?

Likely to be used a lot and take lots of knocks and abuse, or exposed to oil or anything often?

5. mafalus

mafalus Member

Hi Jacktrades

Thanks for the compliment, in answer to your questions:
    Is it being used indoors (garage etc) or exposed at all? - In a garage only and not exposed
    Is the floor or the air damp or likely to get wet? - Air is not damp and not exposed and will not get wet
    Is it on show and seen often? No, only seen by me and my mates

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Dulux Diamond(waterbased) eggshell would be a good choice as would Dulux Diamond clear floor varnish (nice and tough), Seal the knots and apply a primer to the frame, would use
    Zinsser BIN as this seals knots and would also prime the timber. The frame looks as if its treated timber?

7. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

Hi

Well done.
    Feel proud , YOU DID IT.
    Its great when you get a project up and running.
    Maybe show the kids what daddy did in years to come.
    My Grandad made a school desk in circa 1938 for me.
    From Tea Chests, No BQ then.
    My kids played with it. 56-53 now
    Grandkids also. They are 18 and 20 now.
    Its in my sons loft waiting of the Great Grandkids.
    Time flies.

Paint is not my expertise. LOL.

Johnny M

Joe95 likes this.
  8. mafalus

mafalus Member

Thanks Astramax, I'll look at ordering them tomorrow, not sure if the timber is treated but can check with my local timberyard

Thanks for your advice

9. mafalus

mafalus Member

Thanks Johnny

Yes I did it at last. Dad was a builder but told me not to get into that game, how I wish I had.

10. BuilderCol

BuilderCol New Member

Looking good. Nice job.

A couple of suggestions.

You will probably want to bring the vice in a bit from the end (in past the leg) this will reduce vibration when using the vice and increase stability.
    Also, I usually pop a couple of 200mm wide strips down each side, this means the workpiece can lay flat and tools/shavings/screws etc dont get in the way.

Just suggestions though. This is a nice looking bench... I'm liking the drawer.

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Personally, I'd leave it bare.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. mafalus

mafalus Member

I had thought about moving the vice in as per your suggestion, but it seemed so difficult as I am new to all this, maybe on the next bench I will. The drawer was an afterthought and I viewed a lot of videos to understand the procedure on fitting it, alas its not perfect but... oh and it was from a damaged basin cabinet that I had in the garage

Thanks for all your suggestions which I will definatley take on board

13. mafalus

mafalus Member

Mr. HandyAndy, may I ask your reasoning behind leaving it bare?

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If it has a green tinge it is likely that it is treated.

15. mafalus

mafalus Member

Is that a good thing or a bad thing, or as I am guessing, it depends on whether or not it's in "wet" environment.

16. BuilderCol

BuilderCol New Member

Leave the timber, no finish is required. It's a good idea to seal the MDF as its really absorbent.

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's a good thing if it's outside, inside it make's very little difference.

18. mafalus

mafalus Member

Thanks to everyone who has replied to my post, I really do appreciate your input.

Now I know why I signed up to this form

Cheers guys

19. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

May make a difference if it's treated timber and you want to paint it - not sure you can paint it if the treatment is 'fresh'

Anyway, it's a workbench, looks great really, well done, sweet build

If you paint it, all those knocks, scrapes, inadvertent cuts, gonna make it look scruffy in no time at all.... it's a workbench, clue in the title ...... not a piece of Chippendale furniture in your drawing room

What's the top made from ?

Sometimes worth fitting a 'sacrificial' top over the bench with a few screws, something like 12mm mdf

When that top gets damaged, you can unscrew and flip over. After 2nd use, chuck and replace as cheap

20. btiw

btiw Well-Known Member

That looks lovely.

But it's a workbench, you're supposed to work on it, no? It's supposed to have battle scars, isn't it?
    I'm not dis'ing it, I'd be proud if I'd made it. It's much nicer than my workbenches (old desks) and shows attention to detail, but why perfume a violet?
    To protect it from oils/solvents/other crud I'd probably cover it with something.
    Me? I'd just use anything I have lots of. Oil based stain, gloss paint, varnish, whichever cheap tin is handy and would stop it being too absorbent without me needing to spend money.
    ...but, there again, I am rougher than a toad's back.