My first time with a Victorian house... and it's damp...

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by BiancoTheGiraffe, Feb 19, 2017.

1. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No need to tank wall, give it a few months & wall will dry out.
    As to air bricks, using periscope liner will allow air flow & any moisture will soon evaporate.

2. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Might be worth replacing the whole downpipe, you can get cast iron effect guttering that will suit the age of the property.

Nothing of huge concern, as Kiab says, the wall will dry out.

The air brick is a must to keep adequate airflow and prevent damage to the timber.

KIAB likes this.
  3. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Great, many thanks again guys.

Just to confirm, I'm best off using a periscope vent to keep the floor void aerated, but I don't need anything to sort the damp wall, other than to fix that drain pipe and maybe seal up the join between the brickwork and pavement?

I had never noticed that newer brick before. No idea when it was put there, certainly hasn't been done in the past 15 years!

Once I've sorted the above and given the wall time to dry out, am I fine just to render and replaster as normal?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Air vents in wall in alley way, ideally one course up from path,stops water running in, use periscope liners, posted linky earlier, will take a few weeks to dry, how long depends how soaked the wall is, warmer weather will help.
    Make sure you got around 150mm minimum between joists & ground,to avoid them getting wet, if you got floorboards up, might be a good idea check joiss for rot & spray them using garden sprayer with a preseravtive, Everbuild Lumberjack triple protection is very good (TS again).
    Sort drainpipe problem, you can use Stixall (only from TS) available in white, clear, to seal & water proof joint between pipes.

Once wall is dry your good to plaster wall.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/telescopic-underfloor-vent-black-220mm-x-215mm/12025?kpid=12025

http://www.screwfix.com/p/terracotta-air-brick-terracotta-76mm-x-229mm/13873

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Joint between drainage channel & wall, a bead of Stixall should work ok.

6. BiancoTheGiraffe

KIAB, you are a gent and a scholar!

One final question... Once the wall is dry, render and then plaster, or plaster straight on?

I'll be using standard Gypsum plaster if I'm doing it myself

7. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Don't let his head get too big! :p:p

8. BiancoTheGiraffe

If this is like any of the other forums I've used, I'm sure I'll be arguing with him or putting him down at some point! Just felt like I should be polite at first ;)

9. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Kiab never argues:). When you say 'other forums', was one of them DIYnot?

Seems like everyone is in a argument there...

10. BiancoTheGiraffe

Not one I've used!

I was a regular on electriciansforums, but then I branched out!

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A dilute coat of pva on brickwork, allow to go tacky, now the the debate, I like to use Thistle bonding plaster for undercoat,but I'm old school, & times have moved on, a lot of peeps now prefer to use Thistle Hardwall plaster nowadays, as it's quicker drying & has a high impact resistance,& works well on a lot of surfaces like brick, block,etc, scratch surface to give a good key for topcoat Thistle multi finish plaster.:)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

13. Hillbilly

Hillbilly Member

The only problem in using bonding or plaster direct on the wall you could still encounter damp or black coming through due to condensation, I only speak from experience, I tried this before and ended up hacking it back off , rendering in cement with a scratch coat then a coat of bonding to create a nice flat surface for the finish plaster which we have not had any issues with it since, as suggested give wall a through clean pva coat render and scratch level bonding coat final plaster skim, I'm no expert but I tried the other way before and still had issues with black showing through, only difference my wall was stone built, might be different with brick but be prepared to start again with just plastering
    Just think about it put a piece of concrete outside with a piece of plaster by the side see which one crumbles first when it rains (this is extreme but just giving an example)

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Agree cement render scratch coat might be a better option to using hardwall,the trouble is I'm here & not there to have a nosey, bonding is consider old fashion by a lot today & gone out of favour being applied direct onto brick, most likely not be suitable, hence sugesting hardwall which a lot of peeps prefer.

15. 2shortplanks

2shortplanks Active Member

You shouldn't use gypsum backing coat, it's hydroscopic, any damp in the wall and you will get a damp patch. Renovating plaster would be my choice, or lime plaster.

16. BiancoTheGiraffe

Won't the cement render create a barrier to moisture.

I've never touched lime plaster, so would prefer to stick to what I know and not have to worry about what I decorate with.

17. BiancoTheGiraffe

Right, I'm confused again, seems that half the world suggests using a render to keep the damp from penetrating inside, the other half insists on allowing the wall to breathe!

18. Hillbilly

Hillbilly Member

Correct the wall needs to breathe you can archive this by installing vents in the wall at intervals, as in the photo seen earlier if one side is open this is fine as the wall will breathe, in my case the wall was rendered both sides and the quotes I had for a damp course were extreme and in the end plan not needed as the vents installed outside and inside was enough to allow the moisture to evaporate and no more condensation, lime plaster works but also allows mortar or brick stains to come through
    Again I can only comment on my house it's stone built with a mix of stone/brick and mortar, the biggest issue really if you want to be honest is double glazing and central heating which wasn't present many years ago, it's now warm inside and no draughts and cold outside so walls do not breathe and moisture cannot evaporate if you left your windows open all the time you would probably not have an issue but it's not nice

19. BiancoTheGiraffe

How's this for a halfway measure... No gypsum plaster on the bricks...

Cut back the plaster further to a roughly square area. Stud and board (galv steel stud rather than timber so no chance of rot or the damp crossing to the plaster) and vent the new cavity to the inside using the simple method (hack a hole in the pb, screw a plastic vent over it!)

Wall can still breathe inside and I get to do what I know with the board and skim...

Can anyone see any flaws in this plan?!

Cheers!

20. BiancoTheGiraffe

Plus do the other stuff mentioned of course, dig out the excess earth under the floor, fix the leaking drainpipe, bead along the edge of the tarmac to prevent anything seeping through from pavement level.