My Replacement Lead Mains Water Pipe Project

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by Jitender, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Project showing lead water pipe replacement.

Still currently awaiting for water board to connect up new supply. Have been given a date in 2 weeks time.

The work could either be carried out by a 'Watermark' plumber (for which no inspection was required) or on a own self basis, which required an inspection of the work. I decided to do it myself.

This is a free service that the water board offers, providing you do your own bit.

Materials Used:

• 25mm MDPE Pipe, clips, insulation
    • 25mm -22 mm WRAS approved John Guest stop tap (WRAS approved required by water co)
    • 22mm full bore Pegler lever valve (secondary stop tap)
    • 63mm Blue twin wall ducting
    • 25mm MDPE stop end (this is required to blank off the new connection end of the water pipe, to stop any dirt getting into the system)

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Currently Uploading Pics.

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Looking good.:)

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

STW have delayed the pipe replacement twice now, they are planning to connect this Wednesday. Looking for better flow rate. If anyone is looking to replace their own lead pipe these are the requirements as set out by STW, your water company may have different requirements. It is also a good idea to plan ahead, as they don't see a lead pipe replacement as an urgent so could take them 4-5 weeks to connect up.

STW - Installing your supply pipe.jpg

6. Cool.

It's good that they do allow this to be 'DIYed' as that can save a packet.

I bet when you go down to your basement you go 'CHOO-CHOOOOO' as you turn all these ball valves?

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I did originally get some plumber in to quote for a job, they never goT back to me with a price, so thought I would take up the project myself.

This has been a nice project and a good way to improve my skills. An am very happy with the work.

Fortunately the main outside stop tap (located in the pavement) did function as the other 2 weren't working, one being seized. I put in in the secondary stop lever tap (full bore) and planned on putting a supply in the cellar, which has been useful as I have been able to redirect the lead water pipe through this channel and close oFf the John Guest stop tap, which now means there is very little work if any to so once connected, i fitted a double check vale together with an isolation valve as well for the time-been I will close of the valve and fit on a blanking nut/stop end as a precaution.

the lead pipe work had to be cut back further because the iron nail clips were hammered in and made a small dent on the pipe, so when I came to unclip the pipe there was a small fracture on the pipe so had to relocated the lead loc.

I had been given the go ahead to back fill, but because the mains stop tap is so close to the boundary I didn't so have just temporarily boarded it up.

I have also underdug slightly the pavement which shows where they have connected a small length of 25mm MDPE to the lead pipe.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Very wise.:)

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

STW finally came out on Wednesday to connect up the new water pipe.

They didn't have to dig up the pavement as from the mains stop tap the pipe was MDPE, so the operative just cut of a clean end of pipe ans stuck a philmac connector on it.

I wasn't that when the work was being carried out, but it only too them no more than 15 mins to do. It just seems the site representative could have moved the work forward instead of waiting nearly 4 weeks. I saved them digging up a pavement. an all the extra works that goes with it.

They put in 2 notices to the council for permission to dig up the pavement, the first application was refused as there was other works happening nearby.

I will be uploading the finished pictures this weekend.

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

11. Och, the justifiable pride you take in your work :).

Excellent info there for anyone hoping to do this job.

Some nice tricks too, like only showing the top of the tape measure as it comes out the trench - we all know it's bent over itself at the bottom... :rolleyes:

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Agree.
    Very useful post.:)