my shed build in need of very cheap internal cladding ideas

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by markus19, Dec 3, 2016.

1. markus19

markus19 New Member

Hi there guys I'm new to this forum
    i have joined to ask some advice

I have build myself a wood cabin on some land that i rent but i have been building it on a shoe string getting anything as cheap as i can , the building is up now with doors and windows and a roof but i have came to a stop about 7 months ago when its came round to cladding the inside , i want to use some sort of wood and then varnish or oil it but i cant find nothing about at all , i totally refuse to pay the price per meter or foot some folk are wanting for cladding , even used floor boards and scaff boards are so expensive!!

i have access to quite a few good lengths of logs and after watching grand designs
    i have seen they can make cladding boards with a planking saw i have seen on YouTube some self made planking saws made from a band saw blade and Tyre's

is there anyone on this forum with such a bit of kit that could do this for me or has anyone got any suggestions on what i could clad the inside with that will be cheap or free

many thanks

Mark

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

3. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Often projects like that cost more than buying it ready made.

Astramax likes this.
  4. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

What is the area to be covered?

5. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Varnish some OSB Board

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

b&Q have some offers on ply and mdf at the moment. MDF isn't ideal for sheds as it will absorb moisture but you would have to paint it with oil based paints.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Have a look at Freecycle, Freegle for your area, or surounding area, you might find something suitable, or place an ad.
    Got several sheets of 25mm treated tanalised plywood a few years ago, made great work bench tops.

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

One of the things I have been on the lookout for a long time is are the 70s/80s pine cladding hardboard sheets that used to be so common in cafe's and clubs. I have got someone whom wants to paint it white and line a garden building with it. Can't find it new or second hand.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

About six months ago, I could have had loads of it from a shop that was being refitted here, just haven't got the storage space for it.[​IMG]

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

:mad::mad::mad:

would have come and got it - need about 40+ boards. They specifically want the cladding look but using matchwood or t&g is too expensive. Even thought of slicing up ply and making cladding or even "v" grooving sheets but 40+ boards is too much effort

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

There was enough to fill roro skip.[​IMG]

12. TheMorg

TheMorg Active Member

Go round the industrial estates on the weekend and grab all the pallets you can. It can be a pain to strip them cleanly but once you get the hang of it there's pretty much an endless supply of (short) planks.

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You can go off people ......

KIAB likes this.
  14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

a nice thought but life is too short to go messing around with pallets and trying to sort the low quality wood which will be different thicknesses and lengths

15. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Osb painted

16. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Ain't we got enough planks on ere already? Lol

17. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

It's allways a bit annoying when the OP just doesn't bother to interact with his own topic at all.:(

wiggy and Joe95 like this.
  18. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Thats a common occurrence on here though, some random asks a question, 20 forum members get involved to the point of near death and the op is never seen again

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And another one been scared off...:D

Joe95 likes this.
  20. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Is that a good thing or bad ?