My tv has sound but no picture. Please help!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Andrew Williams, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams New Member

My samsung tv is less than a year old. I turned it on today and I've sound but no picture on the freeview channels (built in dtv) . On the guide I can see a picture with sound - all good. Same Netflix- works fine.

So, any idea what's happened to the picture on my digital tv channels?

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Sounds like it has a fault. Pull any hdmi cables or USB sticks then turn off at plug for 10 seconds. The old power off reboot thing. If still no luck it's a warranty claim

3. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Another samsung "common problem"

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Samsung handset press source button & see you will see TV source that you have selected, is it correct one.
    Also run the retune,setup might sort it.

What else have you connected to tv.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Check your aerial connector in to the telly and out from the wall.

KIAB likes this.
  6. See if it has a 'restore to factory settings' option - like pooters have ('cos that's effectively what they are, these days).

Or, try a Firmware update.

7. Gluggy

Gluggy Active Member

Bit of a long shot but does it have the option to blank the screen whilst keeping the sound on - for music channels / radio etc. Our old panasonic does for example and just wondering if something more modern will blank the picture / channel but still bring up the epg etc without restoring the whole screen.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That's why I told him to use 'source' button on the Samsung handset.
    Checking to see if firmware is available is a good idea, can solve a lot niggles.

9. Gluggy

Gluggy Active Member

Fair point but I figured that if they are getting the programme's sound but no picture then they must have already selected the digital tuner as the source - never come across a tv that will split audio / video from two different sources.

Logically its either a config change that's unknown to the op or some kind of failure that may or may not be resolved by doing a full reset. Firmware updates typically add new features or fix bugs with existing ones but normally are a case of "if it's not broken, don't fix it" lol.