My walls are just 3 layers of plasterboard and a couple of thin battens...

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by VWN, Oct 17, 2014.

1. VWN

VWN New Member

I wont bore you with too many details. So long story short - my 1st floor walls are made from 3 layers of plasterboard in a dot/dab sandwich.
    A 12mm then a 24mm then another 12mm. The outer sheets are nailed to 25mm battens top and bottom which in turn are nailed to the floor boards and to the joists.

I realise I sound crazy and I wish I was wrong ... but I'm not.

My latest problem is a shower cubicle.
    I've replaced 2 sides with a proper stud wall, however I just can't do the third due to various size/position restraints (shower trays, door frames etc).
    I have carefully taken the rotten inner skin of plasterboard off and I''ll be replacing it with hardiebacker cement boards - which will eventually be tiled.

So with all that in mind, does anyone have any thoughts on the most secure way to fix the cement boards to the existing 24mm plasterboard core?

Cheers
    Aaron.

2. MrKieran

MrKieran New Member

what the hells going on with them walls?

3. VWN

VWN New Member

I'm guessing they didn't want to pay for a proper chippy and that was the best they could come up with!?
    All the houses down my road are the same.

I'm as happy as I can be with what I've done.
    Once the shower door is in, bridging the two walls, it should be nice and solid.