My Whirlpool AWZ2303 tumble dryer wont turn with a load in it

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Simply the bass, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Simply the bass

Simply the bass New Member

Hi Folks

I have a Whirlpool tumble dryer which stopped turning. I took the back off and cleaned out the dust from inside.

Turned teh achine on and the drum started turning.....Happy days :)

Than I put a half load of washing in to make sure it was ok. The drum started to turn but gavce up when it went to turn the other way.

My gut feeling is the machines belt may have over stretched (the wife loads the thingup) and therefore its causing a problem.

The engine started to get hot as well as its straining but not turning.

all ideas welcome as I dont have the money at the moment with a second baby on the way

Help.

2. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

belt
    brushes worn
    com glazed
    bearings siezed(or worn badly)
    motor fault

RS

3. SimBass, if the actual motor itself also failed to turn, then it ain't chust a slipping belt. So that narrows it down a bit - but not to such a good selection (see Retired's list above)

I guess things to try are - remove the belt and spin the motor shaft by hand. Any roughness? Noise? Sideways movement?

Power it up without the belt fitted - it should make a 'spinning motor sound'...   Ie: no rumble, screech, grind, or stuff.

If it's easy, have a look at the brushes. The most common faults are down to slipping belts and worn brushes - and you've eliminated the belt as a cause.

4. Katiehanatock1988

Katiehanatock1988 New Member

I have a new belt just fitted mine but my drum still wont turn the motor is trying but i can smell burning any ideas thank

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

That is most likely the motor brushes. Carbon is worn down to almost touching but not. if they are easy to get to, a tenner and you can do it yourself.
    And don't try it without the drum turning too long - the heater needs moving air to prevent burning.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Replaced bearing in my tumble dryer a few months ago, ball bearings had disintegrated and was making a grinding sound when ever tumble dryer was on. Finally came to a stop.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Our washing machine is heading that way. Problem is the bearing are a sealed unit and whole drum would need to be replaced. grrrr! We have to keep doors shut when it is spinning so we can hear the telly.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

CGN likes this.
  8. Trev tdr

Trev tdr New Member

Most tumble dryers don't have brushes in the motors. I would think it is going to be a capacitor that needs changing, especially if it stops turning with change of direction.

9. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

These dryers have a motor with a capacitor fitted, it's an induction motor, permanent capacitor type. As with all of these motors, the capacitor looses it's capacity over time, this affects the starting and running torque of the motor giving the symptoms you describe. get a new capacitor off E bay and fit it.