Nail gun or no nail gun ?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Tomthebuilder, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Tomthebuilder

Tomthebuilder New Member

I'm looking to start work on site doing carpentry I got all of my kit but I'm wondering are you expected to have a nail gun or is it needed ?

2. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

It would depend on the sort of work you will be doing and what you're getting paid, when I take blokes on I supply all the main kit, I expect them to have basic hand tools as a minimum, if I wanted more than that I would reflect that in what I paid

chippie244 likes this.
  3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Unless you're extremely lucky, if you are sub contracting then you will be expected to own a first fix nailer, or a second fix pinner, or both if you are decent enough to diversify. If you don't have either your boss will reflect this in the rate he pays you. And if you're put on pricework forget it, you won't make any money without them these days I'm afraid.

4. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

As Wiggy says owning one is dependent on what you are required to do but you will need at least one gun especially if, as Jord86 says, price work is involved. If you are doing 1st fix then I would suggest a Hitachi NR90 (just as good as a Paslode and half the price).

On second fix maybe look at a Bostitch GFN1664KE. Again a lot less money than a Paslode.

If money is tight there is alway fleabay.

Get the one you need now and save up for the other for later on. Great if you are starting on 1st fix and will see the site through until its end.

5. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I have recently purchased the Dewalt first and second fix nailer from our hosts and would agree with the above statements. 1 being the price you are paid should reflect the tools you bring, and no.2 being if you can justify the cost. I am still amazed at how useful the nailers are and they find their way into nearly every job, it's one of those things you don't want to be without once you get one! I saw it as a large investment and until I was able to earn enough money to justify the cost, I simply borrowed or hired when I really needed one.
    Definitely a tool you want and will need, but one that is not top of the list.

6. I have Pasolde 1st fix nail gun that I use for small partitioning work and floor structure when renovating bathrooms and kitchens. Best return on investment tool ever. Speeds work up massively. I can't imagine timber framing without it now.

Joe95 likes this.
  7. Tomthebuilder

Tomthebuilder New Member

Okk cheers everyone have to use a pouch of nails and a trusty hammer for now

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Joe95 likes this.
  9. I have not tried battery nailers yet, but just can't see them being as powerful as gas ones. Also, I have used electric brad nailers and they were always inferior to air or gas ones. I may be proven wrong though.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I hired one last year, found it rather good,think you be impressed with one,it's great not having to mess around with gas,my old plastode hated the cold weather & would frequently play up.
    A few on this forum have Dewalt nailers, so they may add their views.

11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Tom, try Hilti. Their first fix gun is the best of all the options, not cheap, but the kicker is that you can lease one for about £20 a month, and the best bit is if it breaks, ring the rep and they come to you that day with a replacement, at no extra cost as it is a lease. The downside is you are contracted into the lease for 3years( I think, or may be one year, can't remember off top of my head) but then £20 a month is pennies by comparison. As a long-time user of paslode, I'm truly gutted that I bought a new first fix gun by them as opposed to spending the similar money for a new hilti model. Just a thought.

KIAB and Tomthebuilder like this.
  12. Tomthebuilder

Tomthebuilder New Member

Okk mate will look into it cheers

13. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Urban Plumbers, you mentioned the difference - the paslodes are faster and lighter for sure- and the dewalt needs a 'run in time' of 1000 nails before it will will bury nails every time, but the advantage over the gas is the cost and the fact you can pull the gun out without worrying about low gas or expired gas. Paslode for the everyday user, and battery for the less frequent user. Yes your right on how handy nailers are though!