nail through gas pipe question

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by lowzer, Mar 15, 2007.

1. lowzer

lowzer New Member

hi all,
    can anyone advise on the following,i done some laminate flooring in a kitchen a year and a half ago,customer has recently been smelling a strange smell,and got a plumber to have a look,after a lot of searching he found the problem to be a 2 annd a half inch nail through laminate floor and floorboards right into gas pipe,now i know that i did not put nail in floor,but my word against her,my question is,would it take a year and a half to smell gas??.she now wants me to pay plumber and joiner bill,any comments appreciated

2. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

why is there a nail there ? if you do these floors regular you know not to use nails, she won't know that, so she is trying a scam to claim for free work, show her photos of your other jobs and let her see you don't use nails, when you've got her on the ropes, threaten her with solicitors etc,

3. Garfield

Garfield Member

Well if you know you didnt do it,stand your ground,you dont fix laminate down with 2 1/2" nails do you?

It wouldnt take 18 months for her to smell gas either,sounds like they are taking the pi55.Tell them where to get off.

4. Guest

l,any comments appreciated

Write to her, and state that it is a "floating floor" and has no fixings and.............

maybe send her £500 towards her gas bill

5. tetleyman

tetleyman New Member

tell her to go and see a taxidermist, if there is a gas pipe under floor it would be under the joist unless hir kitchen is on the first floor

6. lowzer

lowzer New Member

old grnd flr flat,going tomorrow to see

7. myzeneye

myzeneye New Member

i beleive you mate, as only a fool would go near laminate floor with a nail....
    however, a nail in a copper pipe can be a curious thing....i have seen nails in pipes before which have obviously been there quite a while... id guess its possible to knock one in and it seal itself... the problem it then either when you get movement,ie* in the floor boards etc, or when the electrolitic corrosion starts to take effect...

8. myzeneye

myzeneye New Member

oh yeah... and id tell her flattly, you dont use 2 1/2" nails to lay laminate floor. end of discussion. unless of course you had to repair any floor boards before you started laying it....???

9. chris roast

chris roast Member

i bet you what has happened, you fitted the flooring has you should, 6 months or so later the floor has started to buldge a bit with heat etc, husband or boyfriend decides i can fix that, and whacks in a 2.5 inch nail in floor, job done all fixed.

10. tetleyman

tetleyman New Member

but the nail would not be through the laminated floor

11. tetleyman

tetleyman New Member

but the nail would not be through the laminated floor if he had done repair first

12. myzeneye

myzeneye New Member

the question is... was the nail through the laminate floor, or just in the floor board under neath it ? if it was visible in the laminate,then hubby/boyfriend or even butch bull **** girl friend may be to blame...
    but if its just through the floor board, then it was either done by the floor layer when repairing floor boards prior to laying laminate or its been there a while.... like i said, ive known screws to go through pipes and hold water for years, even in a sealed system which has satcks more pressure inside it then a domestic gas carcass.....

if you say you havent done it and there was no nail head in the laminate then thats exactly whats happened.... either somthings loosened the nail in the hole its made, or corrosion has taken place.

13. Little Snod

Little Snod New Member

2 annd a half
    inch nail through laminate floor and floorboards

She's tryin it on. Ignore it and it'll go away

14. tetleyman

tetleyman New Member

i agree with you 100%,i myself have been back to all sorts of leaks 9 months down the line fittings have held with just flux on ,nails in pipework which have held for 6 months we have seen it all, any water coming through a ceiling or smell of gas the plumber always gets the blame