Need a Good Self-employed Spark anyone

Discussion in 'Job Talk' started by unphased, Feb 27, 2010.

1. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Offering my services to kitchen fitters/bathroom fitters/plumbers/builders for all associated electrical installation works. C&G 236 pt 1 and 2, 2391, 2382 (17th ed) Part P registered with NAPIT. Midlands based. Good quality workmanship. Fully insured (PL £5M, PI £250k, Employers Liability). Registered subby with HMRC. Rates negotiable.

2. mak

mak Member

Sorry mate i personnaly use immigrant workers,i find they are better motivated(coming from 3rd world countrys).And have lots of get up and go.And they are cheap.And its legal.

3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

That's okay. I couldn't work for somebody who can't type correctly anyway.

4. mr sillys

mr sillys New Member

spammer

cheers

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Sorry to hear it's got that tough UP, ignore the idiots.

6. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Still looking if anyone can help. :)

7. nigel

nigel Guest

Giving your location would be wise?

8. ginty

ginty New Member

If you read it Nigel it says "Midlands based" so one woul presume UP is from the Midlands and covers all that area. If this is not the case i'm sure UP will inform the forum

9. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Looking again if any offers.
    Ta

10. wally

wally Screwfix Select

Cash in your new car radio up, that will keep you going for another day.

11. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

its tough out there for the s/e'd, I recently applied for a maintenance job but alas they choose a younger man,
    here's a copy of my application,

dear top boss @ company
    I would like to apply for the job you're advertising for a plumber,
    I'm very experienced, maybe too experienced at 61 years old I know a lot of siht and am free, I still do a bit here and there, but I need a good firm like yours so i can join a pension scheme for when I retire in 4 years time like, also you have a sick pay scheme too which might come in handy too, I'm very interested also in the offer of a company van as I got banned from mine for drinking and driving last week and the cops know my van, they won't guess yours though, I know all the council estates round here where the work is and i know where the speed cameras are too, so that might save you a bob or two on fines, I get up every morning without fail pisst or not at the crack of nine thirty and after a cup of tea and a slice of toast I'm ready for work, although I'm 61 I'm like a coiled spring at that early hour in the morning and can run round like a two year old, I can start anytime you like as long as its not on a monday and i don't work fridays, anyrode don't hang about I'll not be free for long,

tom,

12. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Work dried up at the moment then UP or just ticking over?

Tom - :)

Cheers
    Fats

13. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

No its not dried up mate, just ticking over. You get lulls but don't want the lull to turn in to a month. :)

Tom I am surprised they didn't take you on after a well written and honest letter like that. They are getting fussy these employers. Don't know what's coming to the world, really don't. Oh well.

FatHands likes this.
  14. FatHands

ah that's good to hear mate. To you advertise much in the local rag, or use anything like find a builder, trust a tradesmen things?

Cheers
    Fats

15. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

No I haven't advertised in a local paper for a long while. Predominantly word-of-mouth now. However, I do occasionally have a punt in a local magazine that gets distributed around Sutton Coldfield and Lichfield. I don't like 'trustatrade' and the like. So never have bothered with those.

FatHands likes this.
  16. FatHands

Word of mouth has to be the most reliable way of dealing with "decent customers" in my experience.
    Yeah know what you mean about those sites mate. All geared up to make themselves a lot of money!

Cheers
    Fats

17. wally

wally Screwfix Select

I don't like to here of anyone short of work un but I would not worry unduly, I've been in the game longer than you 51 years of which 36 years self employed & I've got by. We always have lulls, thats the time to catch up on the jobs around the house that won't get done when your busy. You could make a leaflet up & post it through doors, I did that once with 400 in a morning & got what is in todays pricing would be at least £10000 of work, mind you the next time I did it I got 1 cooker repair. 1 Good place to advertise & cheap is local church mags. Ive been in those positions before, I've also been in situations where I was often booked up 6 months, 12 months & 1 year 18 months. However unlike you I did not take work from all outlets, I mainly stuck with 2 plumbers, 2 farm organisations on housing but mainly direct with domestic customers. I tried builders but that was a waste of time so I stopped that.