Need a new boiler

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Brian lear, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Brian lear

Brian lear New Member

Hi
    My boiler is on its last legs so I need a new one but am financially on my **** so to speak.
    My question is this.
    If I buy a new boiler could I save money by doing most of the work myself?
    Screw it to the wall connect the water pipes and electric but not gas !
    Then ask a gas safe installer to connect the gas and commission it ?
    Cheer's
    Brian

2. meady

meady Member

I would say pipework yes, flue gas and even hanging the boiler no. You will find it hard to get a plumber willing to do it though.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Valliant.

4. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

No, any installer worth his salt will insist on fitting the flue, hanging the boiler making the gas connection, installing the discharge pipe and condense pipe and setting up and commissioning after a soundness test. That leaves you with connecting up three pipes flow return and cold feed, about an hours work and five quids worth of fittings, the fitter will have to make two visits to fit around your work it will save you nothing and just create problems.

Maybe a full installation where you supply fit and pipe up all the radiator system might save a few quid but not a boiler exchange.

5. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

As has been said not many of us would even consider looking at a DIY fitted boiler, they usualy come with enough errors and issues to have to turn it off and rectify. Your best option if your having a few financial issues is to have a look at companies that are fitting and suppling replacement boilers through finance, where you can pay it off in stages. Alternativly have a look at the green deal and see if you qualify for a free boiler, lots of companies out ther to try that with. But going down that road may take a few months.

Good luck with it let us know how you get on

6. georgemac

georgemac Member

Have a look here at Boiler Grants - don't know if you qualify

If you have a real old and inefficient boiler it will pay for itself in a few years with reduced bills.

There is the Green Deal but comments do not look too good.

Good luck.

7. Brian lear

Brian lear New Member

Thanks guys that's what I thought
    Obviously fitting a boiler to a wall and connecting pipes is so difficult that only supertrained "gas safe" engineers that have spent years in college could even attempt such a fête!!!
    Just imagine all the things that could go wrong and end in disaster ?
    God forbid the overflow pipe sticking out too much or a rawl plug being loose!!!
    And if its only five minutes work that would save me nothing why the £700 labour charge???
    Seriously ? I think you all just greedy and want the whole job or nothing because your mostly a bunch of self important rip off merchants that think your gods just because you can use a blow lamp and join pipes together !!
    So I think I will do it myself anyway , I put this one in and the one before that it's just this stupid gas safe ****** that's stopping me!
    How much do you pay each year to be called gas safe by the way ????

8. Do you think if we ignore him he'll chust quietly go away?

Let's try... :rolleyes:

9. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Hope you feel a bit better after throwing away your dummy Brian.
    Actually it is nothing to do with us - it is the Law.
    So you carry on, put it in yourself, and if you haven't set it up properly and end up poisoning your family or neighbours etc., be sure to show the judge your post above before he sentences you.
    When a GSR guy signs it off he takes full responsibility if anything goes wrong (it's that damn Law again). So if you've only fixed the boiler to the wall with grip fill and it falls off causing a major gas incident it is his fault, not yours.
    Sorry that you don't understand this.

10. I said ignore him...

Tsk. :rolleyes:

11. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Sorry DA, quite correct! :oops:

12. Brian lear

Brian lear New Member

Hit a nerve did I ? He he
    Must be a good course if it teaches you how not to use grip fill ?
    Try studying a proper course before you lecture people Mr plumber

13. Chewjc97

Chewjc97 Member

Brian you honestly do have some good advice above.

The regs are in place because of the accidents and even fatalities that have happened. When you pay a gas safe engineer you are paying them to carry the risk on your behalf. Put yourself in their shoes. How much would you need to earn to cover insuring that sort of risk....

Please don't skimp on this one. There are plenty other ways of saving money much more safely.

Joe

14. I thought you had to be GSR if you did work for others but you can do what you like in your own home.
    Sort of Darwinian theory . . .

15. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Sort of like part 'P' then eh?.

16. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

Perhaps if you studied a proper course of some sort you wouldn't be in such financial difficulties and be able to afford a boiler replacement, fully installed by a qualified plumber who spent 5 years in college/education learning his trade!!!!

17. Oh Brian... Yea of little intellect. Yo of the smirking, sneering, guffawing self-aggrandisement.

Hit a nerve? Only a self-inflicted one. You utter 'ronic twit.

18. itchyspanner

itchyspanner Member

What is the worth of somebodys skill, knowledge etc...... first you need to understand the person that is evaluating the worth of course. Im sure the family of the thomas cook co holiday horror would value a competent gas engineer more than a decent diyer would that can do most things with his/her hands.