Need advice

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jonny999999, Dec 6, 2016.

1. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Ahh, what you really mean is "A qualified electrician did the wiring, then I came along and stuck a switch on, thinking I was saving him a job." Had the qualified electrician wired everything, you would have had no need to "Stick a switch on" after he left.. If I employ an electrician to do anything for me, I expect all switches to be in (and working) when he's done.. Sorry Johnny, but I think you're making a rod for your own back matey. ;);)

Joe95 and Doall like this.
  2. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Then you must be super thick then.

With all your comments are you seriously expecting people to help?

Joe95 likes this.
  3. Bad design having having the out building/utility submain from an rcd on the mainhouse split board.
    Nice bit of inconvenience when something in the utility trips the rcd.

4. Jonny999999

Jonny999999 Member

Cheers for that friendly advice bazza.

The live and neutral both come from the board in the utility.

Thanks

5. Jonny999999

Jonny999999 Member

A live, neutral & earth to a switch is not rocket science. Maybe the board is to me, but I didn't fit the board.

6. Jonny999999

Jonny999999 Member

Haha the old "should have got a sparky in answer" knew I would get one of those soooner or later!

7. Jonny999999

Jonny999999 Member

How would you have done it then?

8. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Yes, but the neutral that goes to the actual lights, wher is that from? did you install that too or was that already in place by the electrician?
    What lights does this switch control, the only lights on teh utility board are teh utility room itself and the summerhouse.

Please post the results of the visit by the sparky.

9. Jonny999999

Jonny999999 Member

The cable was left at the switch, from the board. Neutral from lights into a block then to the switch. I've taken it off now. Here's the switch. IMG_8279.JPG

10. Jonny999999

Jonny999999 Member

image.jpg Here's the board. Just in case some of the others on here think I did it myself!

11. Jonny999999

Jonny999999 Member

The switch will control the utility and a toilet cubicle within that utility. The summer house is its own circuit.

12. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

I think the pro's on here must have the patience of saints to keep on trying to help Johnny in the face of his abuse! These guys are here in their own time unpaid to try and help out non pro's like us!!
    Wind your neck in Johnny or just **** off!

Doall and Lectrician like this.
  13. Jonny999999

Jonny999999 Member

1 little wifi switch and you are all baffled!
    I am too, but I'm not an electrician. Should've known better than to ask on here, full of ***** talking keyboard warriors

14. Bad practice using black as neutral and grey as earth,it should be grey sleeved blue for neutral and black sleeved green/yellow for earth.
    Even then it still has not been sleeved.

15. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

The forum is really whizzing now - just like the old days..:)

16. Jonny999999

Jonny999999 Member

Ok, thanks. I'll go and correct that now.
    I did it all myself from YouTube videos.

17. Jonny999999

Jonny999999 Member

So that is why my wifi light switch keeps tripping the main board in the house, cause it's not sleeved correctly? Jeez, who would have thunk that was the problem.

18. I do not think "Thunk" is relevant here.

In computer programming, a thunk is a subroutine that is created, often automatically, to assist a call to another subroutine. Thunks are primarily used to represent an additional calculation that a subroutine needs to execute, or to call a routine that does not support the usual calling mechanism.

Joe95 likes this.
  19. Jonny999999

Jonny999999 Member

Did you google that? Hahaha

20. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

A switch isn't rocket science, but has baffled you. One person has tried helping you, no one else is going to due to your attitude.