Need an idea of cost please !!

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by renovationdoubter, May 31, 2017.

1. renovationdoubter

renovationdoubter New Member

Hey guys

I have never had the need to sign into this forum as most of my questions had already answered by most of the professionals.. Thanks a lot guys !!

I have a cost question to wanted to check that i am not getting ripped !

I've got a builder (who's not a Part-P registered Electrician), he's charging me £650

- for a new ceiling board in the bathroom (2.2m x 2.14m)
    - install 4 new cool white LED Downlights in the bathroom
    - and provide me a Part-P certificate ( using a 3rd party he knows)

Is the cost fair ?

Help will be appreciated a lot !! Thanks

2. Peterdevon

Peterdevon Screwfix Select

Sounds dear

3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

That's expensive. I wonder if half the cost is getting the third party to provide the Part P.

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Including or excluding VAT?

Is the ceiling being plastered?

Who is providing the downlights?

5. renovationdoubter

renovationdoubter New Member

this is supply and fit. i am not providing anything.
    ( i am not sure if the ceiling is being plastered)

and including VAT

6. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

It is, to me still expensive - £540 plus VAT.

How much are the downlights?

Is the ceiling still there and does it need removing? You will need to get the plastering confirmed ... Even then definitely worth getting further quotes.

7. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Cheap for central London
    Expensive for Stoke on trent

8. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

You could buy Stoke on Trent for that.

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Ouch! avin a larf guv :eek:

10. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Get other quotes from reputable tradesmen (stay clear of any on here! lol :p)

11. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

He is boarding the ceiling?

12. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

If it's a really good neat job with quality downlights i'd say it's maybe a little toppy, but you're not being ripped.

13. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

About what I would charge. See if you can negotiate over the price being plus VAT.
    Board & skim ceiling, plasterer is going to want a days pay £200. Plus materials £40. Fit 4 downlights @ £50 each - £200. Supply 4 decent LED downlights £80. Work is probably not notifiable as likely out of zones. No VAT for Saturday jobs.

14. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

12.5mm pb, with 4 led lights. Material cost say £150 - labour £500. But then the unknowns on the quote creep in. Is he taken the old lathe and plaster ceiling down before putting up pb, or is he just boarding over it? Is he going to skim and paint it? If this is in the quote then very good, presume its going through the books and not cash. 2 site visits required. Certification? If its in England surely not because cabling is already there - doesn't excuse a quick safety test though.

15. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

£200 to plaster a 2.2 x 2.14 ceiling? - flipping heck 1 mix and blow the tack..for a pro plasterer 1 hr or less work.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    Doall likes this.
  16. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

OP stated board. Then should be skimmed. Be lucky to get a plasterer to do it in half a day. Dread to think of the finish you can get in 1 hr seeing as the plaster will still be wet :eek:
    I always overboard as the ceilings are invariably greasy, cracked, dropped, artexed horrors. Find the joists and get the correct size screws. Nothing worse than a call back for cracks or the whole ceiling on the floor.
    But thats just me - things can be done cheaper but not my end of the market ;)
    I find part of the problem is that it needs two trades. Never met a decent plasterer who can fit the downlights. Never met any electrician who could plaster. Such a common thing to need though, in both kitchens and bathrooms. You could look at it as one easy days work for two skilled people helping each other. Such a small room but still the same set up and clean up times etc.

17. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

No ones asked how the access is in the loft area, it may be boarded and needs taking up, or there's bugger all room to work in, or full of carp that needs moving.???

£650.00, well you don't get a lot for your money these days so its not excessive.

18. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

I always look in a loft when quoting - even if for a simple shower circuit of similar. You too often see a fully boarded loft and/or boxes and sh1te stacked to the rafters - literally!

Top tip - Take a torch and ladders when quoting!

Risteard likes this.
  19. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Without being 'OCD' and / or a pedantic pain in the arris, your totally within your rights when considering any quote to have the full details and scope of the job made clear to you. If the details aren't forthcoming - then ask away

You can't possibly consider if the quote is acceptable / expensive, without knowing what's being done, what's included, what's not included and the finish you're ending up with

Without being rude to you, not knowing if the ceiling is being plastered or not is rather naive on your part - you need to know, the builder shouldn't mind you asking and if it's a yes or a no, then this will obviously have an impact on the price

Do you know what downlights are being supplied and the finish of the bezel ? Usually white / chrome / satin (others available)

Also the make / quality varies massively in price

Also are the lamps integrated within fittings or changeable

Probably best to give the builder a call and when convenient, ask a few more questions - good luck