Need help finding unique Screw

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Mike80D, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Mike80D

Mike80D New Member

I'm new to this community, but am really impressed by all of the people, help, and ideas in the various threads. I look forward to contributing with whatever knowledge I have, though most of it centers around concrete restoration and various home projects (i.e. I just re-did my attic insulation).

There is one thing though that is driving me crazy... I cannot find a suitable plastic screw for my need (looking to buy a lot of them). The closest I can find are the plastic drywall anchors that have an auger style thread, but they aren't long enough and their tip is way too sharp:

[​IMG]

Here is the closest I can find, but it's just a 3d rendering for 3d printing:
    [​IMG]

Make.do makes a similar screw, but it's not long enough and the head requires their custom screwdriver.

What do you all think? Suggestions?

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Can't you just cut the pointed end off, a pair of side cutters and an hour of your time will do hundreds of them.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What you using them for?

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Looks like the cack normally supplied for flat pack furniture items, what's the end result to be?

6. Mike80D

Mike80D New Member

Good suggestions so far, thank you. The end result is to quickly screw together stacks of double-walled cardboard (4 pieces). I looked into various rivets, and other snap pieces, but they all require access to both sides simultaneously and are difficult to uninstall. Believe it or not the drywall screws are perfect because they install flush with the cardboard, tighten the cardboard w/o damaging it, you need only one side, and they can be un-done and re-installed quite quickly. Unfortunately they aren't quite long enough. While I could cut them myself, I'll end up needing thousands of these over time so that's not feasible long term.

Phil, thanks for the link. Those would be ideal, yes, but I can't determine how long they are. Any idea? I need the threads to go a good 1.25"

Jord86 - I'm not familiar with those. Do you have a link by chance?

Thanks again for your great suggestions so far.
    -Mike

7. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

Relieved that the title wasn't some sort of euphemism. ;)

Depending on your needs you could get them made if there is nothing that quite fits the mark and you need a lot of them. Why can't you get to the reverse side or is it some secret invention?

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

9. Mike80D

Mike80D New Member

Lol, I didn't even think about the title until you mentioned it. Par for the course.

Sort of a secret invention.. basically picture you can access both sides of a wall, but not both at once (to press together a snap rivet). But this is also why I can't have a sharp edge protruding out like the linked drywall anchor. I've noticed that some screws for foam are long enough, but they're awfully pointed

Does anyone have any experience with ordering a custom screw in bulk? Curious at what volume it becomes cost effective.

10. Mike80D

Mike80D New Member

11. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

I've had quite a bit of experience having items made to spec in China.

Best place to start is probably to have a look on alibaba.com

See if you can find a manufacturer that is doing something close then ask for a quote for similar but x length or without the point etc. Ask about minimum order quantities, price points and turnaround.

They are usually pretty forthcoming but be careful of dodgy suppliers who are just middlemen pretending to be manufacturing plants.