Need help urgently!!! Leaking cistern

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Dan_Trent, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Dan_Trent

Dan_Trent New Member

His guys,

This is my first post. I'm a keen DIYer and have just noticed an issue we have with our toilet so I'm looking to fix it myself if possible.

We moved into our house 3 months ago and was told by the seller the cyphon was recently replaced. However it now appears to be leaking from the plastic bolt thread under the cistern. It looks like they've ran some silicon round the thread to stop what might of been a previous leak and now the silicone split.

I've attached a couple pics so you can see the problem. Also I've noticed where the waters leaked onto the surrounding waste below it's created a hole In the putty around it. Does anyone know what I can use to fix this?

Thanks for your help. Any questions pls ask

Cheers

Dan

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2iw8yfr0sp3ffxg/20160206_123147.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2a6tx9o5dk0g7s6/20160206_122857-1.jpg?dl=0

2. Dan_Trent

Dan_Trent New Member

So I've just taken the silicon off, drained the cistern and removed the plastic nuts and washers away from the ciphern. Seems something is missing! I'm definitely not a plumber but seems like there should be another washer of some sort stop the leak happening again. Anyone no what parts I'll need to put this all back together leak free?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ziym3bbil958t9x/20160206_134334.jpg?dl=0

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Not having any luck with loading your Dropbox, can you post directly to the site?

4. Dan_Trent

Dan_Trent New Member

Sorry about that! For some reason it keeps saying the file is too big although the limit is 200mb or so. I'll try something else

5. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

I assume as you can see under the cistern it is a low level (separate flush pipe running from the cistern to the pan) rather than close coupled.
    If so the syphon should have a large rubber washer in the inside and a plastic nut underneath (sometimes this also has a thin washer but not always) the flush pipe then pushes into the bottom of the syphon and is secured with a nut (usually ribbed for hand tightening) and a sealing ring between the ribbed nut and the syphon. The other end of the flush pipe is a push fit in a seal behind the pan.

6. Dan_Trent

Dan_Trent New Member

Yeah that sounds right. After taking it apart and looking at it it seems the washer that's meant to sit on the inside of the cistern was actually on the outside between the nut and cistern. This would of probably a used the leak right?

7. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Yes, make sure the seating are clean and reassemble no harm in putting a bit of silicone on the outside under the nut as belt and braces.

8. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

That looks like a total pigs ear of a job done by a bodger and only emphasises my comments on another thread about the use of silicone.
    If that was mine I would take it apart totally, clean all the silicone off and remake it up using plumbers mate.

Looking at your second photo that black washer should be inside the cistern which would explain the leak.

9. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

Yup, totally agree silicon on a close coupled cistern is a sure sign Bertie Bodgits struck again. These C/C cistern can be a nightmare to fix!