Need help with wiring in an edison chandelier

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Eighty3_Bec, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Eighty3_Bec

Eighty3_Bec New Member

Hi there,

Hoping someone can shed some light on a problem I am having with a new light fitting. I have fitted a fair few light fittings over the years in various houses we have had but this one has me foxed. Although there are a few additional extra going down.

We have been waiting for ages to get an edison chandelier and thought as we had a big living room we would go for the 14 bulb one (big mistake). It arrived today as a box full of wires and parts. I put it together but realised the instructions of twist the wires together in these cap things wasn't really gonna cut it. Off I popped to go and get some terminal connectors and put 4/5 individual wires into each connector then joing these together with some extra wire. Just to be clear I had 14 live and 14 neutral wires coming out of the fitting.

Not sure that was the best fix but the best I could come up with, any better suggestions welcomed.

Anyway, in the mean time my husband took down the old ceiling rose (this is where we get confused).

He didn't keep a check on what wires came from where (rookie mistake) and on first wiring back up nothing worked. Doh!

So I know one of the cables is the switched live. Out of the ceiling we have two black, two red, two green and two grey cables with a red core.

We tried all the red/grey red in live together. Lights are back on... but we can't switch the living room off. Take everything down. Grey ones in live, red ones capped together... no lights in living room but lights back on in other rooms. Before I go to the trouble of doing it all again I was just looking for any advice. The house wiring is from circa 1976 when it was built if that helps with wire colours. Oh and all the wires were in pairs from the old rose (two black twisted together, two red etc)

Any help would be much appreciated before we throw it out of the window tomorrow. :)

2. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Can you post a pic of wiring and wiring inside living room light switch otherwise we just be guessing thanks

3. Eighty3_Bec

Eighty3_Bec New Member

Hey Peter, bit dark down there at the moment with no light but I can sort you a diagram. Give me two ticks.

4. Sparkielev

Can you tell me what colour is in switch the grey wires you say are in light is confusing normally red black and earth

5. Sparkielev

Just reread post you got 2 single reds

6. Eighty3_Bec

Eighty3_Bec New Member

Two single reds, two single black, two single green, and two that are grey outer but with a red core. All of the wires are twisted together in pairs from the old ceiling rose. I should probably mention we have two switches in that room too that operate that light fitting.

7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Lol, like your "shed some light" reference, because you can't. :D:D

I would guess Reds permanent lives, so join them together on their own, grays, switched lives so join together with fitting live, blacks, natural, so join together with fitting natural, greens earth.

8. Sparkielev

Try putting 1single red with other reds and other single red to brown of light fitting the blacks with the blues on light fitting

9. Eighty3_Bec

Eighty3_Bec New Member

Yeah that was my thinking but then we get lights on in the other rooms but no joy from that fitting.

10. Sparkielev

She has 2 single reds they both can't be switched unless more than one fitting

11. Eighty3_Bec

Eighty3_Bec New Member

Sorry that was meant for the comment above. I tried putting both of the grey with red core to the live and the reds off on their own but that did nothing as above. I tried all the greys and reds in and everything was on... but wouldn't switch off in the living room

12. Eighty3_Bec

Eighty3_Bec New Member

There are two switches in that room if that helps

13. Sparkielev

Try splitting your single reds one to light one to reds

14. Sparkielev

Yeah it 2 way done old style one single red is perm live one is switched live

15. Sparkielev

It shouldn't matter which single red you use as switch it should still work

16. Eighty3_Bec

Eighty3_Bec New Member

Ah okay, as they were all already twisted together I didn't want to untwist them as I thought this was correct.

17. Phil the Paver

When you did this did you have the blacks joined to the fittings natural.

18. Eighty3_Bec

Eighty3_Bec New Member

yeah the blacks have always been in neutral, greens earthed. Just the red and grey that were confusing me

19. Phil the Paver

That's right if they were already together, leave them, there are almost certainly permanent lives.

20. Sparkielev

When you get it working get some wago connectors they more reliable than blocks

tore81 likes this.