Need to Move a Mains Centarl Heating Thermostat

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by fred812, Oct 7, 2015.

1. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

This help?

Attached Files:

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Nothing wrong with that.

3. That helps.

I know I'm being pedantic on this, but if someone for some crazy-fool reason (Mr T for instance) were to drill to the left and slightly above the location of the new stat, he'd go bang.

Possibly.

But very unlikely...

4. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

DA, that is a plan view. I would ensure the run was horizontal in elevation.

5. Aaaah, but you said you were drilling the hole downwards, which implies it wouldn't be horizontal.

You cheeky mite, you.

But, it's ok - I think I'll sleep fine tonight.

6. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

That was in relation to a letter T.

7. Cooool :).

Alas this thread must now come to a close... :oops:

8. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Agreed, and I suppose if you didnt understand, it was my fault for not explaining clearly enough.
    Thanks for your help.
    End.
    FTF

9. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

You've been misinformed if you think that will happen. Or else you're in "wishful thinking" mode.
    It will cause the boiler to cycle on/off a lot more.

10. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

More than one reason really. The hall is a warm place in my house and the stat has to be cranked up to get other rooms warm. So going to put in the north facing lounge so that is right and regulate the other rooms which all have TRVs anyway. This will cause the boiler to be on more and help with rads that take longer to warm up.

11. What Ry is saying is, if your hallway is simply warmer than the rest of your house, then the solution is to (as you know) turn the 'stat up a bit higher so's it 'ups' the heat in the rest of the house in comparison.

Or, adjust the heating in the hallway so's it simply doesn't become warmer than the rest of the house in the first place (hallways should normally be cooler than living areas in general).

So, is there any way to reduce the temp in the hallway? How is it heated?

But, if the hallway is affected temp-wise in unusual ways - say it gets too much solar-gain, or perhaps it's simply much better insulated than the rest of the house so it maintains its temp when the rest of the house's rooms cool down or summat, so that it isn't at a temp that reflects the rest of the hoosie, then fair enough, move the 'stat out of there.

I would suggest that the single best place to have the 'stat, tho', is in the main living area. That's the room that needs to be most stable, and the rest of the house can chust follow suit :)

12. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Hi DA, its better insulated, two double glazed doors, no external wall etc. The rad in there is cranked down so much its nearly off. I'm going to put the stat in the room we sit in which I'd north facing, external walls, large window and extremely difficult to regulate from a stat in the hall.

13. The room you sit in - commonly referred to as the sitting room - is the best option.

:) and :p

14. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I need to do mine the other way around! When I came here 28 years ago I put the stat in the lounge which has been fine all this time, but since installing a wood burner a couple of years ago the lounge is fine but the rest of the house isn't! I'll re-position it to the hall.