Neighbours gas boiler Flue

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jonsey67, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Jonsey67

Jonsey67 New Member

Fada - Thanks. I think they just tried to prey on my normal good nature. They didn't think I would object. They are now without hot water until new boiler fitted.

Bob - I spoke with building control officer. He stated that it is in the governments document on this issued a few years ago. It depends on the efficiency/type of the current unit. It affects boilers that are around 8 years or older. He didn't mention the document and I didn't ask, as it was not relevant to me. It is up to the installer to check the boiler. I guess there must be a list of what boilers must be replaced by a condenser if they are moved ? If not, probably down to the installer to check the data on the boiler concerned.

2. honestbob

honestbob Member

Cheers, I'll look that up. Hope all works out for you and the neighbour, I'd put more blame on the installers, they should have known that it was a sticky position and explained things to your neighbour. In my opinion best thing is to get it all sorted without any violence or verbal, then act as though nothing has happened. "Dispute? What dispute?

3. EXPERTGASMAN

EXPERTGASMAN New Member

Hey. I've only just come across this thread, but I've never read such garbage!. Joe is going on about trespass - irrelevant! HBob is correct. You CAN NOT fit the flue within 600mm of the neighbours border. The position of the building is not relevant. Mid Heat, we recently sparred over the legality of plume management kits. I've since reasd something that DOES allow a reduce distance,but I'm currently just back from pub, so can't recall specifics. But I will. Regards. EGM

4. Yours truly

Yours truly New Member

*** Jonsey you are moving. Leave it be :(

5. G Brown

G Brown New Member

If boiler flues were NEVER permitted to point over boundaries there would be no gas boilers fitted in the little houses of the Welsh valleys! Most of them are called Jones too!

6. Jonsey67

Jonsey67 New Member

FYI - I have not fallen out with the neighbour. Have had civil conversations (no swearing or shouting). It was just a mistake on their part.

I think they knew it might be a problem under regs, but they thought as I am good natured, that they could just go ahead, even when I told them to check the situation.

As it stands they have to change what they would have done and think that at the end of the day, they will be glad they took the opportunity to change the boiler. Yes it is costing them now, but if they could not get parts to change to a vertical flue, what happens when it breaks downs and a part is not available.

I repeat, that I would have been happy to consent, had they told me the real situation and not tried to blag it.

The rules are I believe (from consensus and building control officer). Building regs allow for the flue slightly over boundary at a height, not ground floor level), as long as not a nuissance and consent from neighour obtained. The consent is only temporary, neighbour can ask for flue to be removed at any time eg. they want to add an extension.
    In regard to Gas appliance regs, most people seem say it would be against regs to allow flue over a neigbouring boundary. Up to GSR people to argue on that one !!!!

7. midlands heating

midlands heating New Member

at the end of the day the easiest and simplest (also save 4 pages of forum talk LOL) method is stick to regs and keep flues away from boundries. they only come to bite you in the bum in the future. and its a lot harder to move a boiler than get the flue right in the first place. thats it rant over i'm off motor racing !!!

8. EXPERTGASMAN

EXPERTGASMAN New Member

First off: I promise not to post again after a visit t' local hostelry!

The regs ARE quite clear. No flue is allowed to be fitted within 600 mm of a boundary, for the reason that has been mentioned, i.e. to prevent later developement by the neighbour causing problems.

I have read recently (I.ve now soberly recalled) that the air intake of the plumemanagement kit can be as close as 150mm to a boundary, but I still can't recalll where I read this, I think it was a Gasafe publication.

Gordon, don't Welsh homes have rooves(?) through which a flue can be poked?

I also apologise to anybody that may have been offended by my rant. LOL

9. honestbob

honestbob Member

If you can remember where you saw that post it on here mate, its a gem

10. hibeealex

hibeealex Member

Jonesy, it seems the flue dosen't really bother you just the fact that they possibly misled you, so why come on the plumbers forum to ask, some of the biggest blaggers in the trade use this site, I thinks you need a lawyers site to see what you can do about possibly being misled, if they looked at your posts on here I think they woulkd see they flue's not really your problem.

11. midlands heating

midlands heating New Member

on the plume management kit (glow-worm in particular) air inlet is reduced to 50 mm. exaust of course is still stamdard. So a lot of boundry problems can be solved with there use (which is one of the reasons they were designed) certainly got us out of some possible boiler resiting problems.

MH

12. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Most small Welsh terraces have either got communal lofts over several houses, rooms in the loft or 200 yr old slate roofs which will fall apart if you mess with them...or bats which cannot be disturbed!

The few I have done over the boundaries have never been a problem with the council or GASSAFE - of course if you don't have to you don't do it.

13. Annoyed Neighbour

Annoyed Neighbour New Member

Hi guys. Regarding flue siting and terminals.
    600mm, 300mm to boundary ? even less if stated by manufacturer ? If we are to treat any of these as fact alone then Document J, diagram 34, table 1 suggests that a property owners boundry/human being, is afforded less consideration than an innanimate object. (I draw your attention to item L)
    Diagram 34: position H 300mm and J 600mm (See notes bottom of table). The boundry as depicted are infact a 1.8m high brick walls. "DISPERSAL MECHANISMS" to your neighbours property which are also subject to conditions beyond them. ie walkway/vents/future development.
    Verticle terminals(with a rain cowl) disperse horizontaly, in all directions and are normally suject to exposure from WIND in ALL directions. In fact moreso than horizontal flues on a wall. So verticle flues need greater consideration when on flat roofs near boundries.
    Position Q far right of diag can be be subject to boundry conditions as boundries extend skywards as much as the next property.
    The distance from point source of plume "IS" 2.5m directly or indirectly to neighbours property/boundry.
    The diagram/distances in document J deal primarily with distances within a neighbours PLOT and the buildings He/she has within it. Any other individual exists outside of it and DOES NOT have to be unnecessarily subjected to some one elses nitric acid.
    2.5m to fence, wall, boundry ! Assessment proceedure(deputy prime minister) 2.5m from TERMINAL to Boundry(skywards)

Dont be told otherwise !!!

Best of luck all neighbours :)
    Be very very careful all Plumbers. ££££££££

14. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    Interesting reading, not sure where you get the 2.5 m distance?

Two issues,
    1 the regs are to ensure good combustion takes place, and not mix the products of combustion with the air supply.

2 the law on boundaries, as installer we only comply with the gas regs, and manufacturers instructions.

Any dispute is for the solicitor to make his money.

Is there some where that specifying discharging flue gas 2.5 m from a boundary?

Regards
    Peter

15. Annoyed Neighbour

Yes kiaora. As mentioned in regs its in the Guide to Condensing Boiler Installation Procedure for Dwellings. A Ministerial Document that indicates more stringent requirements are necessary for condensing boilers in the assessment process. Just incase: Deputy prime and staff know how to write vertical or wall so no bending the written word.
    The law on boundries ? Everyone has a roof. If you cant fit it then dont do it !

16. Annoyed Neighbour

Unless you have a proviso of course.

17. Annoyed Neighbour

Not a lawyer but ... Your boundry is your boundry and that is skywards(within reason). It is not encumbent opon a home owner to make unnecessary compromises and consessions in his/hers own home/plot to suit the wants/whims of a neighbour. A right we are all afforded unless an agreement on the deeds. Would you/can you build to the same level/position ? Does it compromise you view/astheticor is it that bad. If all yes then you have grounds to press the matter with the same courtessey those cheeky ******* afforded you. It would be up to you to informally request,or/then, take neighbour to court.
    There is a neighbourhood consultation scheme at council to which we are all subject to even under permissable development. This could immediately go in your favour at court as no evidence is still evidence and gives indication to an unreasonable, uncivilised and unfair attitude, being a nuiscance to rights and freedoms in your own home. Courts dont like that !
    Hope this gives you the confidence to stick up for yourself or just kick back with a glass of wine on your rattan garden furniture contemplating a ladder, a drill and expanding foam. Grrrr.