Neighbours gas supply on my side of land.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Rochelle, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Rochelle

Rochelle New Member

my next door neighbours gas supply tees off from mine, can I get this moved as later on I would like to build an extension on the side of my house where the pipe is. My supplier is British Gas

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Ask British Gas its the only real answer you'll get that's fact.

3. Rochelle

Rochelle New Member

Cheers Phil

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Hope your on good terms with your bank manager...:D

5. Rochelle

Rochelle New Member

Why that then?

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You can get the gas supply move, but it won't be cheap if it's pipework before the meter.

7. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

It is nothing to do with British Gas.
    All the supply infrastructure is maintained by your local gas transporter, you'll need to speak with them.
    But as Kiab says, it will probably be pricey. And they take their time about doing it as well so directly you get planning permission through arrange for it to be carried out.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The gas supply is dealt with by National Grid now.

Rochelle likes this.
  9. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

I had a good laugh years ago regarding a gas over site run.
    In 1968 I purchased a new bungalow , it was £2870 .
    Oh cheap I hear you say, I was on £1000 a year wages LOL.

The gas pipe running from the road was mostly above the front flagstone path
    as it entered the front of the building.
    I was a plumber for near 15 years, so I rang the gas company.
    Requesting the required depth and regulation of a gas service as it entered propery as I was about to lay one.
    I got a FIRM guy pointing out all the regs to me and how I need care and the required permission.
    After he had Firmly lectured me on the reg.
    I just followed up with. OK fella get your A** down to my new propery and correct the out of spec gas service
    that your folk had left.
    He was not amused.
    I still smile on occations.

Johnny M

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

National Grid will be your contact to change the gas pipe, there is an online price calculator.

Will be getting my one moved later this year, been quoted £710. All depend on distances.

Could take 6-8 weeks.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

National grid quoted me £800 to turn meter 90 degrees & extend pipe by 300mm.

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I'm getting mine done mid July to August.

the price is based on moving gas meter 1.5 meters, to redo outside pipe (upto 2m), and to reconnect inside pipework about 2m.

Is there anything in the house deeds which mentions about neighbours' gas supply?

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Seems quite expensive.Can a GS person not do it?

I think NG allow you to do the trenching work yourself, so I could save some money here. They only specify a depth of 375-450mm deep, so no much at all. Water pipe was 750mm min.

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I've applied online today for gas alteration, National grid will contact me within 2 days.