Neighbours new roof overlaps mine

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by rakiman, Jul 5, 2014.

1. rakiman

rakiman New Member

Hi

Im new here and looking for some advice.

IMy neighbour has built and extension and his new roof now overlaps my flat roof. Iam currently out the country just now but have received some photos of the work. One as below.

SDC10005.JPG

Surely he is not allowed to:

Cross the boundary with his roof, albeit a few inches;
    Impede my access to my own roof for repairs;
    Potentially have some of his rain water draining onto my flat roof.

Any advise at what my options are please. Any advise please.

Thanks

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

no they can't do that, not without your permission - talk to your local building control folks, they'll likely be very interested

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Wow, that's a big overhang really, looks about 6", but is there a gap between the walls below it, ie: your wall and their extension wall, if there is you may be greatful for the overhang in the long term, stopping rain and carp, getting between the walls causing long term damage.

4. What the hell is wrong with these people?! :mad:

Who the hell really believes it's ok to do this? What builder does this without asking for written proof that the neighb has agreed to this trespass - Party Wall Agreement and all that stuff?! Are they NUTS?!

It looks like a professional job - so why doesn't the professionalism of this roofing company extend to legalities?

Raki - sit back and think it through. Consider what Phil has said too. I can almost guarantee that your neighb and/or roofer ain't going to simply say "Oops, soz - we'll sort it!" This will cost them time and money and if you really want them to fix it, you will have to force them.

It won't be fun.

Have you spoken to the neighb? Have you spoken to the roofer (assuming it wasn't a DIY job)? Watch the colour drain from the roofer's face when you tell them you're going to sort this out... You can bet his 'client' won't pay for it, so he's going to be hugely out of pocket. Might teach the twit a lesson.

5. (I wonder if you can legally give notice that they either "remove their property from your land within 2 weeks" or else "you'll take steps to remove it yourself" - with a chainsaw.) You'd only have to do a slice - the water will do the rest...

6. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

just make sure you throw the bits you've cut off back over onto their side of the fence

7. Now that's just being nasty.

8. H3xc0d3

H3xc0d3 Member

Think thats the law returning it to the neighb as it belongs to them

9. Biochef

Biochef Member

Get roofer to do your roof and extend existing to cover yours at a discount

10. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

yep, same reason for doing the same when trimming over hanging branches

11. Biffo

Biffo Member

100% NO madness

12. rakiman

rakiman New Member

Thanks for all your comments.

I haven't spoken to either the neighbour or the roofer as yet but as DA suggested, wanted to gather my thoughts and options first.

13. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

Keep us informed!...