Neighbours noisy pipes - driving me mad!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by ClareMc, Aug 11, 2014.

1. ClareMc

ClareMc New Member

Really hoping someone can help!?
    My partner and I just moved into a new house, a semi-detached, and there is a very loud banging/rumbling noise coming through the wall from the neighbours (an elderly couple who have lived there a long time). It's coming from their pipes so every time they have the central heating on, run a hot tap etc this very loud rumbling noise comes through our walls. I spoke to the previous owners and they said its been like that for 30 years.
    It's driving me mad - can anything be done to make it stop, or at least make it quieter? Or would it be a case of them having to have major work done, which I can't exactly just go and ask for them to do! Any help would be appreciated!

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If they are elderly and it's driving you mad, could you not approach them with a view of you offering to pay for a plumber to have a look at the pipes, it could be as easy as a couple of pipe clips in the right place, or bleeding out a air lock.

3. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

it could simply be a ballvalve needs changing in the cold water storage or the toilet,

4. ClareMc

ClareMc New Member

Thak you for the advice ad sugestios

I went to speak to the neighour who said it's their back boiler which sits in our chimey breast. It's been like that for years and years apparently and he has had someone out to look at it in the past, but they've said it's just noisy because its so old.
    So I'm totally stuck as to what I can do about it really - can't really force them to have a whole new system put in! But it's a problem - it' so loud and wakes us up in the morning. Are there any smaller things that can be done to at least help reduce the noise a little? I'm happy to front the cost.

5. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

You could try adding a chemical noise reducer to the system, it helps prevent the boiler Kettling. But its not a great solution and doesnt always work. Another option is to fork out 4 to 5 hundred quid for a power flush for them. If thats done correctly can make a big difference. Again dependant upon the state of the boiler no guarantees that it'll work.

6. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

In years gone by before the invention of powerflush kidoligy and chemical addatives designed to make the inventor rich, we used to put fairy washing up liquid in the header tank, drain the system from the boiler if possible till the header tank is empty, put the fairy liquid in the header tank and refill, It used to work well but no doulbt you get the wizz kids of today saying the PH of washing up is in breech of regulation 12.rh of book 4 page 18 cos it causes enviromentally oversized carbon bootprint in the worlds shoe makers window, its all cobblers if you ask me but for the price of a bottle of washing up liquid its gotta be worth a 'go'.

FatHands likes this.
  7. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

No point in responding to that comment Tom some of us have moved on with the times and development some of us hav'nt

8. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I know what you're saying Dave, sales,marketing,glossymag hype and brainwashing are jolly hard not to influence the ordinary working people, they've learned what a mistake they made when they developed the balanced flue boiler, It ran and ran and ran never needed service or spares, so they've put that right now ok, luckily there's still a few free minded rebels who will advice people with these priceless boilers to keep um, there are plenty 40+ year old boilers still purrring along to the annoyance of the 'free boiler' salespeople and their backing team ,securing their own future by installing high maintenance boilers at the cost of the victim's lured by sales marketing scams,
    Englands become a row of corner shops, ;)

9. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Tomp tells it the way it is Dave. OK old boilers might not be as efficient as a brand new all singing, all dancing condensing boiler,,,, but they don't break down as often. My dad had a Baxi back boiler in his house from new and only changed to a combi boiler about 35 yrs later. No breakdowns in that 35 yrs. His combi boiler had only been in around 18 months when it broke down, costing around a £100 to get fixed. Combi has an expected lifespan of around 10yrs before it needs replacing (at what cost n'all??)

10. ClareMc

ClareMc New Member

We're going to go and speak to them tonight and see if we can convince them to have someone come and look at it - the noises are really loud now and I'm pretty sure a boiler isnt supposed to be making these kinds of noises! Surely it's not safe, for us or them!? We'll suggest some of the ideas you given, thanks very much for the advice!