neon on cooker switch

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by biglad65, Mar 27, 2014.

1. biglad65

biglad65 Member

hi the neon 45amp switch as a neon light that stays on all time should this go off when switched off and on when on thanks

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

It should, is the switch switching off the cooker??, if yes then they're a short across the neon somehow, if no then the switch has packed up, either way it needs replacing.

3. biglad65

biglad65 Member

it switches the cooker off and on but the light stays on ether way is the load from the fuse box or the feed

4. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

load is the cooker - feed is the incoming from the CU

5. wally

wally Screwfix Select

Is the switch wired wrong, if the load & supply are opposite to what they should be the switch will still work but the neon will stay on, the neon needs to be on the load side

FatHands and biglad65 like this.
  6. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Classic case of wiring the switch upside down. The live in is wired on to the load side, and the cooker has been wired on to the incoming side. Permanent feed to neon. :)

7. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

As Wally and UP have said, the switch has been wired wrongly!

8. wally

wally Screwfix Select

How you doing sen, still working. Ive gone into retirement

9. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Hi Wally, yes still working mate, almost finished the rewire I mentioned a few weeks ago. Have you stopped completely now? (it won't last, you'll get bored)

10. wally

wally Screwfix Select

I probably will get bored sen but I have had problems since xmas, severe backache, then went in hospital for a week with a bleeding ulcer & had to have 3 pints of blood, had a lumber punch in my back which has left me with a different sort of backache. Some of my mates never saw retirement so we decided to buy a new car & get out with the dog a bit more in the summer. I have cancelled my NICEIC subscription & my accountant is sorting things out. I hope I don't have to pay to much tax on my stock & tools.

11. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Very sorry to hear about all of that Wally, hope you soon feel better, just show your stock at a minimum level and your tools could be virtually written off I should think.

12. wally

wally Screwfix Select

Maybe sen but I think the last count of power tools were over 30. My accountant says I don't have to stop work even if the business is shut down so I will probably do that, just keep a little book & pay any tax if need be so I'm not finished yet. I think 37 years self employed is not a bad run now I'm 68.

13. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Same as me Wally, i'll be 69 in June.

14. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

For some reason I thought you much much younger sen, more my age, late 40's.

FatHands likes this.
  15. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I wish I was Col! I left school and started work in 1960.

FatHands likes this.
  16. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Bludy hell two years before I was born. :p

17. wally

wally Screwfix Select

Wind up megger, loop tester consisted of flex, lamp holder & a 100 watt bulb & if it lit up as bright between L/E & L/E we assumed a good earth, mostly lead water pipe earths, can't remember many folk getting electrocuted. Going to jobs on my 50cc suzuki with a mate tools & cables on the petrol tank, those were the days.

18. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Fair play to both of you! Still going strong.

Hope the backache eases up for you wally.

19. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Sorry to hear you haven't been well Wally. Hope you are on the mend.

Seneca, I had you down as my age - late 50's.

Sorrry OP.

Kind regards

BS