Neutral earth fault

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by spen123, Aug 12, 2016.

1. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

On a job that a previous spark has been on, rods were linked out so I did them properly now most circuits trip. It's a tt system that the earth is connected to the gas pipe then to the water shocking in itself. There is a short between live and neutral on the feed cable to the cooker but it's only when you turn the cooker on that it trips out.

2. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Faulty cooker then, simples!

3. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

The feed cable has a fault still when removed from the switch. Cooker cable clear. Connect feed with fault circuit will stay energised connect cooker trips. Not sure how a cooker could be the fault when the fault is present when there disconnected from each other and disconnected at the board

4. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

Why is it wrong to connect the same earth to the gas and water? Nothing in the regs to prevent it.

TonyS likes this.
  5. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Well according to the nic eic they need to be separate should be continuous and have a reading of less than 0.05. These are one 10mm to the gas a link bond to the main water acting as the main earth to the property all jointed under the floor in a block. It's a new re-wire

6. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

It's also about 5 meters from entry point and after a few joints

7. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

If you remove the gas to a new location or the water depending on what's the primary one you could also be removing the earth as well and not know. If there separate and at there correct location this shouldn't happen

8. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

You can largely ignore the NICEIC they make their own rules up.AFAIK there has never been a reason not to use one cable to bond gas and water providing it is one continuous cable. That said I did have one prat from them trying to tell me a cable wasn't continuous because it had a crimp lug fitted. Wrong again, if both cables are crimped in the same lug then it is continuous.

TonyS likes this.
  9. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

It's fine to bond like that, the NIC are fine with it in my experience too.

It has to be a continuous run though. You can strip an inch of insulation and loop the cable, or place the two ends in a single lug.

philthespark likes this.
  10. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

Its prudent for it to be continues but not a regulation.

nffc likes this.
  11. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

ive always understood it was, and i used be an inspector for eastern leccy. surely common sense would indicate this. We would fail it if not continuas.

12. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

Then you would be wrong to fail it ( by fail It I take it you mean unsatisfactory). There is no regulation stipulating it has to be continuous only guidance. Obviously in an ideal world it would be continuous but would be wrong to produce an unsatisfactory report based on the fact its not continuous.

nffc likes this.
  13. TonyS

TonyS New Member

Show the regulation then.

Or is eastern leccy like the NIC, make the rules up as you go along. There's no wonder I fall out with muppets.

14. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Im talkin about the 80s! We were installation inspectors, we would give it the once over ,including bonding done correctly as per electricity board policy, then a megger test. if it passed we would carry out connection of new wiring to the meters.was just doing as i was told.whats the problem with doing as one continuose run if bable run permits?

15. What does bable run permits mean?

16. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Bable, it bomes as reels of bable. 2.5mm bable is often used for socket bircuits.
    You would have learnt that if you had gone to bollege.
    :D

17. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Did you use bontinuity tester

18. shadowfax

shadowfax Member

What a load of collocks

Risteard likes this.
  19. nffc

nffc Active Member

Blimey Tony. Scraping the barrel posting in DIY sites these days. Here and TEF.

20. TonyS

TonyS New Member

I post on topics that interest me.

TEF have given me the resources to resurrect all the theory and practice stuff from EB, a not inconsiderable task given the damage done to the articles. 18 months so far and I’m finally getting on top of it.