New 6m residential extension rules - simple advice needed please!

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by action711, Oct 7, 2013.

1. action711

action711 New Member

Hi All,

So I've just bought a 3 bed terraced house in London, E17, and it has a nice big garden and a conservatory which is the entire width of the house at the back. It's brick from floor to about a metre high, then double glazed windows for the rest of the walls, and a lovely plastic ceiling/roof.

It's not bad, but it's not great.

Then I read somewhere that they are permitting a 6 metre extension without planning permission, but then I got confused in all the other rules and how they apply to me.

So I'd like to knock down the existing extension and build a 6 metre one, but not crappy double glazing, a proper new room on the house, with the flooring raised and proper brick walls along the side and then big glass doors at the back. And yes, the full width of the house. but still one floor high but build it so, if I got permission, I could extend the 1st floor rear too at a later date.

Both neighbours on either side currently have 3 metre extensions at the moment too, so the current glass windows on the side seem a little pointless!

Can I do this?

Do I still need permission from the coucil?

Could I do it for £30K?

Thanks for reading.

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

while you are on the phone to the planning folks ask them about your extension .........

with regard to cost - £1000/square meters is often used for rough estimate figures, however for a properly finished project that will usually rise to at least £1200 - also factor in that you will have a good few £1000s of costs associated with clearing the site, and you could easily spend £10K on full height sliding windows (far less if you want a plastic french opening) - and there's the E17 loading - your 30K is looking very very tight

3. action711

action711 New Member

So more like £35-40 then?

Ah, don't think I need to call the planning people about the outbuilding, so any advice on regulations here would be appreciated. Think I read something about any extension needs to be 1m from adjoining buildings....

4. DOHdesigns

DOHdesigns New Member

The new PD (relaxation) rules do indeed mean in a semi-detached/terrace situation that a single storey extension can go from 3m to 6m and in a detached situation, from 4m to 8m. However, these new rules are subject to the Neighbour Consultation Scheme, which means neighbours can object to the scheme... even if it's under the new PD rules. Note these rules ONLY apply to single storey rear extensions and not two storey. If you were to build a two storey rear extension, it can only be a max. 3m deep, providing you have 7m from the new external wall face to the rear boundary.

Even though PD is around, if you don't apply for a CoL (Certificate of Lawfulness) application, then it may cause a few problems down the line if/when you come to sell. The agent/purchaser would want confirmation the works did not require Planning Approval, which is done via a CoL application. It's 50% of the nominal Planning application fee, but drawing wise... you do end up providing the same (if not more) detail on drawings than you would for a normal Planning application.

5. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Do check and see if you have any shared drains under your proposed extension. Water companies are causing grief with buildover consent.