New B&Q base 'Corner Units' are same as standard base units !

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by sorethumb, Jun 29, 2015.

1. sorethumb

sorethumb Member

Just discovered that the items listed as 'corner units' are the same cat. number as standard units. My previous corner units were shorter into the corner which cleared a mass of pipework / water meter etc. To hack the end panel to clear everything will result in no end panel. Do you have to shorten the top and bottom panels of the carcass and fix the end panel to it any way you can to make a 'traditional' shortened corner unit ? Thank you for any responses.

2. If by 'standard unit' you mean a 1000mm base unit, then - yes - many corner unit are just that.

However, when you think about it, to have a 500mm wide door fitted to it, the end of the unit will need keeping 100mm away from the corner so that the vertical centre post for this door is 600mm in total away from that corner. That way the centre rail - at 600mm - will match the depth of the base unit running down the return side of units. You will therefore have this 100mm space betwixt the unit's end and the wall.

Does that make sense?

(By the same token, you can use any size of base unit as a corner unit - 800mm, 600mm, etc. You'd just have to decide what size door you were going to fit on it, and then mount the 'centre' post to suit. Whatever width is left over from the door will be the amount of base unit going in to the corner - so you can have a 'void' as big as you want.)

FatHands likes this.
  3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

When, I ordered my Homebase kitchen, there was an option to have a 800 or 1000mm base unit.

the 1000mm unit could accommodate the sliding out shelving units, which makes it easy to store items.

there is normally a blanking panel supplied, and the unit can accommodate door widths from 400-600mm depending on the size of the unit.

The spacing measurement is quite critical, this would normally be supplied to you you in plans when you ordered a kitchen. There is also an option to fit a fillet or a corner post as well.

4. sorethumb

sorethumb Member

O.P. again: It's a while since I tackled my kitchen and I was forgetting that, of course, even a 1000 unit has to be 100mm out from the corner to match the 600 mm worktop depth. Thanks for reminding me !