New Bannister and Spindles

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Simon Millward, Feb 28, 2015.

1. drawllimuk

drawllimuk New Member

Hi there folks. (Change of user id). Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions on how I could accomplish my banister. I made a stay on it. Please take a look. Would still welcome suggestions!

20150405_081122.jpg 20150403_141046.jpg

Oh. The newel cap was simply a temp thing!

2. Nice job - you seem to have sorted the main problem.

Are you planning to add any detailing to the newel post, or chust keep it plain?

It wouldn't be that hard to replicate the way the spindles have been shaped even if you don't have the correct tools (router, etc.); use a marking gauge to run parallel edging guide lines down from each corner of the post, and the bulk of the corner material can be removed almost to these lines using a plane or spoke shave or summat. Then finish off to the exact lines - and also provide the smooth curves at each end to blend them in - by using a belt sander. Carefully...

3. drawllimuk

drawllimuk New Member

Hi Devs.

Yeah was planning on keeping it plain. Although I might have a go at shaping them. Plan to do something like: double newel post.JPG

4. Cool.

The fluting on the 4 outer corners is a relatively easy DIY job (as outlined in my post above), but the central 'groove' will need a router.

If you are really getting in to this DIY malarkey, then a pressie to yourself of a router isn't a big outlay. Worth even having a look at second hand items on t'bay, and if they come with cutters that'll be an even better deal.