New Bathroom Door fitted by Professional Kitchen Fitter

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Gareth Evans, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Gareth Evans

Gareth Evans New Member

Hi All,

I've just been through the process of having my Bathroom and Kitchen fitted. I'm fairly happy with the result, but I was somewhat disappointed to discover the state of my bathroom door after descending from the bathroom loft hatch. (See photo attached).

When I mentioned this to my Kitchen/Bathroom fitter. He replied with the following:

"The door had to be reduced in size to accommodate the raised height in floor and height of the opening which means trimming the door. Which meant taking some off the bottom and top. These doors are all hollow construction and have a small amount of timber to provide an edge around the outside and the panels in the middle are supported by the construction you can see. When a door has to be trimmed in height you take some off the bottom and some off the top and I had to trim quite a bit off both and there was not enough depth of timber on the top left after trimming. This is often the case with these doors and have had this on many occasions. It will be fine and the door will not fall apart."

Any expert opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

He should have taken the timber edge out of the off cut and re glued it back into the door, that or cut in fresh timber.

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

What you do in these cases is refit the timber you cut off back into the void, it's an easy job to be honest but he obviously couldn't be bothered.

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I guess he thought you wouldn't notice.

There isn't much strength in these doors anyway and without the top piece a lot less. A new piece of timber needs to be cut to side and place back in the top. Otherwise your door will probably started bowing soon

5. Gareth Evans

Gareth Evans New Member

Many thanks for your comments. :)

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

May be worth taking the door off and checking the bottom ......

7. Gareth Evans

Gareth Evans New Member

Looks like there's only 2mm of timber left at the bottom.

bottom.jpg

8. I suspect the guy started to plane the top and bottom down to try and get the door to the required height - and then realised he'd removed all the wood trim before getting to the required size...

At which point he went "D'oh!" and wished he'd done the right thing as mentioned above - trimmed the door to the right height, removed the timber insert from the removed piece, and refitted it in the door.

At this point he should have done the next right thing - bought a timber batten and fitted it. But he didn't. He ought to be ashamed, but is instead trying to blag his way out of it with a "It had to be done, and it'll be fine".

Not even a DIYer would do this; it is totally unacceptable for a pro. Would you buy a door if it was already in this state? Why not - after all, "it'll be fine..." :rolleyes:

But it's a very easy fix for him - so he has triply no excuse.

seen it all before likes this.
  9. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I had the same problem with my bathroom door. They planed the door to fit the raised floor & when the wind blew through the window,the door whistled. Simple matter for me,a DIYer to laminate strips of ply & glue into the void. Problem sorted !!! You really do get some cowboys doing these jobs nowadays. :(:(:(

10. TT Nog

TT Nog New Member

He ought to be shot. But these hollow panel doors look AWFUL when they are trimmed down too far, we just replaced a load that had had up to 6" cut off them, and replaced them with solid oak....much better and no worries about strength !

seen it all before likes this.
  11. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

As everyone else has said above, the timber should have been replaced in top and bottom of door after it had been cut down.

12. seen it all before

Fair point but not everyone has the budget or wants to spend nearly a £100 per oak door the £50/60 to hang each door.

joinerjon83 likes this.
  13. TT Nog

TT Nog New Member

Yup, I agree.....but dammit they look good !

Attached Files:

14. seen it all before

Your not wrong, they do look good, as they say quality comes at a price, and they look quality.

15. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

Why has the floor been raised so much?? I take it the new floor has been laid on the original floor I've seen ply on top of floor boards then heating cables then a screed then tile adhesive then tiles I often remove the floorboards fully then fit new boarding floor that's suitable for tiling straight onto often saving some 18mm in floor hight as for the door they have bodged it needs removing a batten cutting fitting glued and screwed in top and bottom or the door will bend and not fit anyway

16. Gareth Evans

Gareth Evans New Member

I decided to have electric underfloor heating so the floor is approximately 1.5cm higher than it was before, they did remove the old tiles however. Thanks for all your comments by the way.

17. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

blimey, well first of all 'professional kitchen fitter' don't normally mean 'pro chippy' and i never take the top of the door off, always off the bottom, unless the head of the lining is out, and then you have to plane to fit, there normally is a much wider bottom rail on panelled doors that helps in these situations, so for me a new door is needed, as it will fall apart!

antuk99 likes this.
  18. Aztec

Aztec New Member

As has been said above you take equall amounts of either end then refit the timber to the ends if needs be. I'd of been more concerned about what you could see though the tile trim should of been mitred like the attached pic above image.jpg

19. antuk99

antuk99 New Member

To be honest i would of just taken off the bottom as the transoms are bigger on all doors for this reason

20. Aztec: "I'd of been more concerned..."

Antuk: "i would of just taken off the bottom..."

Ok, you two - listen up. It bludy isn't "of", it's "have".

Have have have have have.

"I'd have been more concerned..."

"I would have just taken off..."

Can you see the difference? Can you hear the difference?

I hope so, 'cos one of them is correct and the other makes you sound like an inarticulate moron.

No offence, like...

jeznotts likes this.