new boiler - cost to move it or keep it where it is

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by leicester builder, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Having some plumbers out next week to get quotes for putting in a new boiler. I have the choice of keeping the boiler in an upstairs bedroom, moving it into the loft or moving it to the downstairs utility room. Should I expect a big cost difference depending on if I move it or not? I know its hard to say without seeing it all, just after a rough idea. The hou is a 1950's semi if that helps.

2. mumbley joe

mumbley joe New Member

i couldn't give you any idea how much extra it might cost to move the position of the boiler but think about in a few years time, you may well be saying 'i wish we had it moved when we had the chance'. i would think it's a pain having it in a bedroom, it might be easier to extend the pipe work into the loft but then maitenance would be easier in the utility room. if it was me i would have it moved, talk to the plumber see what he thinks, don't let him talk you out of it being moved though

3. yea that was a reason for asking on here, I'm expecting a couple of the plumbers to opt for trying to talk me into keeping it where it is to make there life easier

4. wetpants

wetpants New Member

New Boiler ?, budget for 2.5 k

5. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

like you say without seeing it and little information we've no chance, things to consider thou'

if it goes in the attic  it might need the header tank above it, is there room for that?
    if its a combi, filling and topping up will be akward,
    controls too will be harder to adjust,
    the boiler might need a vertical kit ( about £150) to go throu the roof?
    the pipe work will have further to go
    the attic will have to be boarded and lit for serviceing,
    In my opinion, its never a good idea to have a boiler at the top of any system, the air gathers at the top and this will cause problems

6. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

£2.5K :eek:

7. Hi Leicester.

Clearly impossible to give a realistic idea of the different costs on here. It could be an easier move than you think, even to the downstairs room - good chance the gas and rising main are both there?

There are pros and cons for all. In the loft - providing there's enough safe access, and it'll need boarding out around, and on the way to, the boiler - means no space taken up in the house. However, it'll also almost certainly mean taking the flue out through the roof, and that's bound to cost more than through an easily-accessible wall. Trickier for you to check it.

Utility room - it's easier for you to check things like system pressure (if it's sealed) and to top it up when necessary. And it's likely to be cheaper than the loft location. But takes up space.

Bedroom - cost. That's about it.

I'd have thought that, in your profession, you'd know a few reliable plumbers? All you can do is ask for quotes for all possibilities. I'd be surprised if plumbers (all of them, at least) want an 'easy' life as such, as the thing that's going to make the biggest difference in the location costs is 'labour' - and that is the main thing they are after, surely; that's the 'earner'? A day's extra work will earn them a lot more than the mark-up on a few lengths of pipe, so I'd have thought that any plumber with the right attitude towards work would welcome the 'trickier' job?

8. brumbrum

brumbrum New Member

Hi

One other point to consider is the age of the older boiler which I'm guessing is not a condensing boiler- it depends on how old it is. Since 2005 it's been compulsory to fit a condensing boiler in pretty much all situations. It means that a condensate drain will need to be fitted in any of the locations you choose. This is just a pipe that runs to the nearest drain - the utility room sounds an easier bet for that one. In some cases this requirement has meant a change in boiler position anyway - to get easy access to a drain point.

9. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

basing the location of a boiler on ease of access to the nearest drain really isn't necessary, if a suitable drain access is problematical fit a condensate pump - don't allow the need to have a condensate drain compromise having the boiler located where you want it 

10. Cheers chaps for some good advice.Think the loft is going to be a no go due to the access issue and tom plums advise on it not being good to be placed at the top of a system is putting me off. I'll ask the plumber about the Utility room, space isn't really a problem and its near the gas metre. But its not near the rising main, and has no outside walls making the flue the biggest issue. I'll just have to see what the plumbers say but sounds like a straight swap might be my only option.

11. brumbrum

brumbrum New Member

You are right Sean it certainly isn't the first criteria but a condensate pump is going to add £100 which may tip the balance between locations  - sounds like the flue is going to be the bigger issue here.