new consumer box installed

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Gary1240, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Gary1240

Gary1240 Member

Hi all. Today I had a new consumer box fitted. It took the electrician about 3 hours to do the job. Now when we turn the bathroom light on it trips the box. Any ideas why. It was working fine on the old box. Thanks

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

You need to get him back, there's obviously a fault on that circuit which should have been picked-up when he did his testing !
    In fact I doubt he did much testing if he did the complete job in 3 hours!

tore81 likes this.
  3. Phil Hyde

Phil Hyde Active Member

That's terrible. Can't believe he didn't do any testing. Get him back. Out of interest is it a plastic fuse box or Metal?

4. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I wouldn't get him back. If he is registered get onto his agency. 10er on he aint tho.

5. Gary1240

Gary1240 Member

Thanks for your responses. Not very happy with this. It's a metal box. He's coming back tomorrow morning to sort it out. He's registered with the NAIPT and local council. Thanks

6. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

MAte, you can't be registered with the local council. Make sure he gives you a install certificate - EIC.

7. Gary1240

Gary1240 Member

Thanks I will speak to him about that tomorrow.

8. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

My bet is most likely a shared neutral, or dodgy bathroom fitting. It sounds like very little testing, if any, was done.

9. Gary1240

Gary1240 Member

Thanks. I will let you all know how I get on tomorrow. Thanks again

10. Gary1240

Gary1240 Member

The guy has been back and he said it was a shared neutral problem. All the house lights are now on one trip switch in the consumer box. Before this problem there were two trip switches in the box is this correct

11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Flipping heck that's not very good at all tbqh

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  12. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Although you cant say the sparks is responsible for the shared neutral. However this problem would have shown up if the legs were tested prior to bringing the new db into service.

13. Quiche81

Quiche81 Member

Its not the rarest scenario on older properties where a two way upper landing light was wired in two core for the two way switching
    and used the lower floors lighting feed.

Just seems odd for a bathroom light to share a different floors neutral ?!

14. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hmmm - when I used to do rewires many years ago I always put the bathroom light (usually ho skirt) on end of run - in other words it was the last fitting on the circuit.

Nowadays on my own gaff I use a dedicated rcd protected circuit for my bathrooms - this circuit also runs fan etc.

15. Gary1240

Gary1240 Member

So what should I do guys. Does it sound dodgy or is it safe.

16. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Impossible to quantify the above Gary.

What does the EIC cert say in the departure notes section? You know the cert issued by the sparks who carried out the db swop.

17. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

It's safe in that it will work ok, the problem is for who ever might work on the ctt's in the future as there is risk of electric shock. I guess most sparks would prove it's dead first but not so much diy'ers.

tore81 likes this.
  18. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

That problem's been taken away by putting all the lighting on one circuit.

19. Gary1240

Gary1240 Member

So its okay to have all the house lights on one circuit. Is it ok, normal practice and safe as it's a new installation.

20. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Not a problem and usually the only practical solution, at least it's now safe.

FatHands likes this.