new consumer box installed

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Gary1240, Nov 28, 2015.

1. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

now youve got"danger" from a house thrown into total darkness instead! but hay its electrically safe, Discuss?

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

It's usually the only practicable solution on a c/unit change Nigel, and it's no worse than a power cut (in fact less so because only the lighting circuit will go off, there will very likely be table lamps, tv etc. which will produce some light)

3. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

As Sen, without rewiring to an extent,then the only practical solution is to put all lights on one MCB, and tbph I've seen this done numerous times, it isn't unsafe, and doesn't contravene any regs, but, the whole installtion will be intrinsically safer due to the high integrity consumer unit that has been fitted, live longer and prosper...............

seneca likes this.
  4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I've not only seen it done but actually done it, quite a number of times!

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Still no mention of an EIC from the op

6. Gary1240

Gary1240 Member

The electrician is typing it up this week and will drop it off when done.

7. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thanks Gary- Would be interesting to see what the sparks has written on the EIC..I am not saying that the chap has done anything underhand, but its always interesting that kind of thing. Have a good day m8.

Whatever you do don't post the whole EIC form on the forum - just let us know the results of eli/end to end on the ring final/s/ir/continuity on all circuits, and also rcd trip times, and also any notes in box.,thanks.

8. Gary1240

Gary1240 Member

Ok will do thanks JP

9. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Why?

10. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

The sparks could very easily produce a full EIC with a complete fabrication of test results, 1666 Ohms for all complete Zs's on 30mA RCD's as these new RCD regs are with very little dead testing.

11. nigel willson

alter the wiring! if he had inspected , tested b4 doing the chg he could have allowed for that! Rant over

12. nigel willson

dont the regs say to install consumer units in a way that doesnt cause inconvenience ie lectric showers not on same cct as lights ect, asme applyies to all lightsin my book.

13. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Yes, but... It's not a new installation. It's a change of consumer unit on an existing old installation where there were two lighting circuits sharing a neutral.

If the customer wants to spend an extra couple of hundred quid or so labour and parts, and then redecorate the damaged area of his house, I'm sure he can.

14. Gary1240

Gary1240 Member

Thanks guys for all your input. So my questions are, is what he has done safe and has he contravened any regs. Thanks in advance.

15. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Should be safer than before and I can't see of any Regs he's broken...

16. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

As we all know, the regs aren't retrospective.

17. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I've never changed a cu State, only fitted them on complete new installs - however I would have thought at least some testing of the legs would be pertinent before commissioning the new db. Maybe the eli test after fitting might be a bit ott, however rcd trip times etc I would have thought would be a must do test tbqh.

18. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

The ELI test is one of the main ones to do on a c/u change JP.

19. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Cheers Sen. Sen I don't know much about fitting new cu's to old legs, but the listed would be what I would do if I did.

Prior to energising

1 - IR check on legs

2 - Continuity check on ring final/s (end to end) and also radial final/s

3 - Check for no cross continuity between legs (on L + N cores) -this would show up a shared neutral etc

4 - Earth integrity

After energising

1 - RCD trip times

2 - ELI test

3 - Check properly labelled etc.

What do you reckon Sen? I know it probably doesn't align with Test and Inspect, but maybe ok?

20. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Just as an annexe - I don't think you could ever give a firm quote on how much it would cost to change the db as there are quite a lot of variables to consider. So complete trust in the sparks would be imperative. It might cost say £300, or if faults are found, then it would cost more then this on an incremental basis - ie, one fault say an extra £50, more faults and the cost will rise as the faults are cleared.

A good customer, tradesman alliance is imperative.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015