New Consumer unit Cert

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Working On It, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Working On It

Working On It Member

Hi Guys,
    Help would be appreciated...
    I had a new consumer unit fitted about 2 months ago (Steel) along with some new circuits, the sparks has been promising the certs for this since it was completed, however, today he tells me if an EICR will do for the building inspector as its a new kitchen and he'll need the cert to sign of the works. My response was I don't know, don't you know? is a part P cert not required for this, to which, he tells me he's not Part P registered.

Anyone know if an EICR will do, I've no issues talking to building control if I have to...

Ta
    WOI

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

It needs an EIC, (electrical installation certificate) it is also notifiable to Building Control. If he's registered with a Competent Person Scheme, eg niceic etc. he can do this, if not it should have been notified before he started the job.

3. Working On It

Working On It Member

'It needs an EIC, (electrical installation certificate) it is also notifiable to Building Control. If he's registered with a Competent Person Scheme, eg niceic etc. he can do this, if not it should have been notified before he started the job'.

Turns out he's not part of any NICEIC/ other scheme, but is 17th edition, is this likely to cause trouble?

Thanks

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

In a word, yes it is! There's no reason why he can't issue an EIC but the notification is going to be the problem.
    Is the rest of the work ie new kitchen subject to a building notice? if so it might be covered by that although they will want to see the EIC.

5. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

The only other way to get around this would be to have your local council test the property. Building control should be able to sort this. It will cost but in my opinion it's a cost that can be handed to you electrician as he knew he wasn't part p and therefore couldn't sign the work off

seneca likes this.
  6. Working On It

Working On It Member

So it has to be Part P then, EICR will not cover it?

7. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Yes that's probably what the OP will have to do Spen. There's no reason why the spark can't give him an EIC, especially as he's said he's 17th!
    It's all so easy when registered with a scheme, do the job, test, issue the EIC and notify! (still resent paying them the 500 quid a year though) :(

8. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Contrary to what many people think, Part P is not a qualification, it's just a section of the Building Regulations.

9. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Also, if he's willing and able to do an EICR there's no reason he can't do an EIC, provided he has the knowledge and equipment to do the necessary testing.

10. Working On It

Working On It Member

Thanks Guys, I've just told him he needs to provide all the certs required, don't care how he does it tbh....

11. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Electricians dream up all sorts of excuses to avoid testing and certifying. Electricians who don't test and certify their work are in my opinion no more than installers, not electricians. Part P is now used as the excuse not to do it. Before Part P it was "I haven't got my 2391". I would stand your ground with him because if you involve the LABC you could incriminate yourself, its the customers responsibility to notify, not the electricians (yes it is!), if he isn't a Part P registered spark. Only Part P registered sparks are allowed to do work without notifying. Its unfortunately very common in this industry to not do the paperwork as you have found out.

seneca likes this.
  12. Working On It

Working On It Member

Thanks Un, I'm going to put the pressure on him to get this sorted as easily as possible for me, he knew from the start he wasn't able to correctly sign this off...

13. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

You can get the work "retro registered", it just mean you will have to pay the LAB fees and for the work to be tested. Only a PIR can be given, not an EIC but afaik the LAB are ok with this.

Not sure why @unphased is saying this, there has not been one criminal prosecution done by the LAB for part p infringement that I'm aware of. If you explain what's happened I can't see why they would get all busted up over it. I can't really see what they would gain from it tbh, more hassle than anything. In fact, last time I spoke to them about my own work I said if I decide to later get my work certified for BC their advice was just to "take lots of pictures of the work as it's done" so they "have something to look at".

14. Working On It

Working On It Member

Thanks Col for that. I've spoken to the sparks and said he needs to sort it without delay, initially he said it wasn't really his problem as he never said he was registered! He now reckons his mate is Part P and he will get him to sign it off but I will need to pay him for the cert, any idea what I should be looking at here £ for the sign off, rough idea would be good so I know if they are trying to bend me over, if you know what I mean.......

Ta

WOI

15. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

You should be paying NOTHING for it. All electrical work should have an installation cert. especially a major heart lung transplant like changing a CU.
    AND changing a CU is notifiable work. It's s LEGAL requirement. He knows that.
    Tell him you are going to report him to the LABC.
    Maybe he has to pay his mate to come and test and lie that he has done the work but
    It's his problem to sort out. Not yours, at your expense.

16. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Lol.
    It is the householder or person ordering the work who is responsible for notification.
    Yes a trades person is responsible for ensuring their work complies with the Regulations, but it is not their responsibility to notify.
    Report the electrician to the LABC, all they will do is issue a compliance notice to the OP.
    If the electrician informed the OP that they would do the notification, or that they were a member of a CPS, then that would be a matter for trading standards.

17. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Building control are very funny when it comes to this thing. When u first started u wasn't part p or registered and had to get with the nic sharp as building control ouldnt accept certs unless they came from a registered contractor or a part p contractor. Email building control and get it in writing what they want. If you have the quote from the electrician or and emails texts ect that may show he agreed to sign of the work take legal.advise. you have employed him to do the work and as an electrician he should sign off all work. If he doesn't and won't the law is on your side. There's nothing g to say it's safe or meets standards

18. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I am fully in agreement that you should not pay out anything to get the certificate you need. If the electrician you employed wants someone else to do it on his behalf, then he should be paying the bill to him as a private arrangement, nothing to do with you. Like you said earlier in the thread you don't care how he gets it certified as long as its done, but not at your cost. This scenario is so common getting "a mate" to sign it off. Testing is such a straightforward exercise and easy as pie to do I just don't get why so many sparks cant do it.

19. Working On It

Working On It Member

Thanks Guys for the responses, will see what happens as he (his mate) is apparently turning up tomorrow to test and sign off, I have no issues as to whether its safe or not as I know the work done is good. Don't won't to pay him anything tbh, but will see what happens................

See what happens...

WOI

20. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

The Electrician MUST supply an Electrical Installation Certificate. That is a requirement of BS 7671:2008 (2015). Without this the job hasn't been completed.

However, from my understanding of Part P of the Building Regulations in England and Wales only (and I am not in either England or Wales) you should have informed Building Control beforehand if the Electrician could not self-certify. Therefore if he did not tell you that he was capable of self-certification for the purposes of the Building Regulations then it is both your problem and your cost (not his). He cannot have another contractor certify Building Regulations compliance for him either so that IS DEFINITELY NOT the way to solve your problem.