New CU

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Coloumb, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Ok lads, I've had a few glasses of red so I'm going the throw up a couple of pics of the CU of the project I've been working on for the last year or so. Last time this happened everyone fell out over a bit of insulation tape if I recall.

Anyway, here it is. Split load, all the ground sockets done as 16amp radials in batches of three double sockets (prob should have been 20amp but there you go, get over it), only ring is the first floor. Separate sub main for the shed, rcbo for the smokies, all fed from 16mm swa. It's 3 phase swa so I used heat shrink for the sleeving (not insulation tape). 4mm radials for the kitchen white goods sockets. Not a amd 3 unit, if it sets on fire it will only burn me up so that's cool.

Yes I will fill in the top bot and the holes where from an idea that didn't work out.

IMGP7634 - Copy.JPG IMGP7635 - Copy.JPG

FatHands likes this.
  2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Excellent Mr C. Do all the circuit numbers marry up? For instance if the immersion heater radial earth was connected to say no 6 on the earth bar, does the neutral go into no 6 on the neutral bar? Only an example

Coloumb likes this.
  3. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

The all match up matey, note the numbers on the safety barrier.

4. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

Looks nice and neat I'm not a spark but thought smoke alarms should be on a non RCD MCB not even a rcbo as they could trip sooner and they are the last thing you want loosing supply

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Excellent Mr C and recharge your glass - some people just stick them in willy nilly, no good whatsoever,

Coloumb likes this.
  6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I always run my smokes etc off of a principal lighting circuit Mr D

7. DNR Plumbing

Ok mine are separate on a MCB that's not RCD protected along with burglar alarm and fridge all on separate MCB's

8. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

:cool:
    They need to comply with the 17th so need to be on a separate ctt. with it's own rcd/rcbo.

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Prob is, tennants can switch off alarms then!!

DNR Plumbing likes this.
  10. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

That's up to them mate, I've already discharged my obligations...

11. DNR Plumbing

All separate cct's but do they need RCD protection or not?? Split load CU with 3 live bus bars 2x RCD ones and 1 non RCD with smokes burger and fridge on does it conform??

12. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

The recommendation is on a regularly used lighting circuit, it's then immediately obvious if tripped.

DNR Plumbing likes this.
  13. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Well mine are on their own ctt with an rcbo. And I like it like that. :):p

KIAB, Brian_L and DNR Plumbing like this.
  14. Is your shed fed by the 16mm SWA? Just wondering how you have terminated it in the CU?

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Looks more like 4 or 6mm SWA for the shed

16. DNR Plumbing

Looks like 4mm to me

17. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Nice.
    like the pigtails, bit of spare to play with.
    Prefer not to have one on main earth conductor.
    prefer to see the main tails (and others)set below the busbars...to avoid rubbing(vibration) and being pressed by the front cover.
    RS

Coloumb likes this.
  18. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

It's 16mm in and 6mm to the shed. You can just see the glands to the left.

19. Phil Hyde

Phil Hyde Active Member

Why is shed on a non Rcd protected breaker. Surely the cable runs outside? Is the shed on a Tt or have you exported the earth?

20. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

The shed sub circuit is done in SWA - there is no indication within the parameters of Mr C's db deployment that this swa sub circuit needs rcd protection (ads satisfied). Obviously at shed end the circuits which are fitted/being fitted will be rcd/rcbo protected Phil.