New driveway

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by mikki, Apr 25, 2016.

1. mikki

mikki Member

Had a fee quotes over the weekend and one company said I could save about £1k if I left my existing path and steps to our front door. I mentioned this to another company but he said it's not a good idea as the path might not be suitable to drive on and that who ever said that was being tactical and unprofessional.
    Both companies have good reputation and reviews on trust a trade...so who should I listen to?

Attached Files:

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

How many cars will be on the driveway?

Removing the path does seem to be the correct way to do it, if car goes onto it, the paving isn't strong enough to cope and will crack.

I think I would keep the grass section to the RH side of the path if possible, rather than paving the whole area., just depends where the entrance will be for the footway crossing.

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

The path almost certainly would not have been laid strong enough for vehicles to drive on it.
    The steps is your choice as to whether you want then to look like the new drive or stay as they are.

4. mikki

mikki Member

This is very helpful! Entrance is on the right hand side. We want to pave over half of the grass on the left. Want to fit 2 cars .

5. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Is that your gas meter on the left wall? Does the pipe run through where the drive will go?
    If it is, while in principle the pipe should be below the excavation depth, you never know. Their problem obviously, until the hit it and you have no gas!

PS one option for the path is to lay coping stones to stop (reduce the risk) of you driving on it. I'm assuming there is a post at the end of the path anyway?

6. mikki

mikki Member

Yes and no it runs along the side of the house behind the gates. I don't think there will be enough room for me to drive into it. Shame about the path though, wouldve liked to keep it to break up the bock paving a bit.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Save the grass, use grass grids like Bod pave,rated for around 40 tons.

echelon101 likes this.
  8. echelon101

echelon101 Member

I like this. There are lots of grid systems which can bear very heavy loads but are "green". Look up geogrids.

KIAB likes this.
  9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I'm not too fond of concrete block paving, look good for about 8 years then the color fades.

I have heard about resin bonded gravel driveways, has anyone used this stuff?

I think I would look at drawing a plan of the garden and making a design, you want to be able to turn the vehicle around on the drive, instead of reversing out onto the road, as the foot way crossing seems quite big. Maybe a turning circle?

10. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Used to do Resin Bonding years ago, very expensive as a whole system and it peels off after a few years in our climate of hot (warm), cold and wet etc.