New Electrical Supply

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jitender, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I have a first floor maisonette. The person below was tapping into the electricity so Western Power Distribution together with council put in a separate supply for my place. If they cut the persons supply below then I would lose power so this was one of the reasons.

A bit unsightly with the large white box but nothing I can do about that... Other than get a recessed box?

Anyone know what this is? Fuse is 80A

And can a new supply be created from this point if I wanted power to outside rear garden? meter is located in kitchen upstairs.

upload_2017-7-17_22-55-18.png

upload_2017-7-17_22-55-28.png

upload_2017-7-17_22-55-40.png

upload_2017-7-17_22-55-49.png

upload_2017-7-17_22-55-59.png

2. That is your cable head with the cable coming off it to your meter.Pretty rough job but that is the dno for you.
    You can only take any supply from your side of the meter.

KIAB likes this.
  3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

May get then to come out and get the box recessed. Also the cable is clipped under capping in conduit which runs up the length of house which is an eyesore.

May get this to run inside then box off in future.

4. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

If you want to run power from there, you will need the meter there as well.

5. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

That looks like a box designed to be recessed and flush and not wall mounted. And what security is there on it?

6. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

You wont get the DNO to recess the box I'm afraid you are lucky if they did that work without any charges coming your way. If you wanted it recessed you would likely be charged an extortionate price, wouldn't be surprised at £2k+. They have used a standard cut-out in a GRP cabinet which is their normal set-up. They have even used a bloody bonding clamp around their cable to secure the earth, yet we are told umpteen times that a bonding strap must NOT be used as a main earth connection to the DNO cable. Rules for one and rules for others.

7. No they havent, they have put an earth clip onto the copex gland.It is obviously metal copex, plastic covered they have used to do this.
    The cable is inside the copex.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Why couldn't they just run a cable up the wall to your place & fit the cable head within your flat, nothing to stop anyonne pinching your service fuse, had that happen at a previous place some years ago, some oik snaffled quite a few around the estate.

9. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

That is a surface box, not recessed. The earthing is to the flexi conduit. Orange fire resistant cable inside. They use the orange cable when entering a building more than a couple meters these days.

10. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I'm no expert, but as unphased says, you won't get this work done FOC. It will cost £££ as there's nothing "wrong" with this enclosure as is. Does look a bit bodgy, but I assume its all safe and works fine.

I looked into the different enclosures when having the gas meter moved, there was an option of a "semi recessed" enclosure that's a bit recessed into the ground. Not sure the same applies for leccy but anyhoo, the opportunity to have a different enclosure has passed I fear.

11. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

PVC capping on the cable coming from the ground, what they thinking, is the outside gonna be rendered?

Bodge job and it will do attitude

I as a spark would be kicking like fkuc if this is the completed job, love the way the REC do not have to supply us the customers a cert of safety as our side of the meters

Pfft joke

12. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

I would move the meter myself if it was my house into the meter box. Run an SWA to the board which would come off a switch fuse in the cabinet and split the tails and install another switch fuse for the garden power :eek:

13. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

I think it's standard cattle guard U capping Si. It does look thin, but think it's an optical illusion in the photo! It is pretty rough though!

14. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

It's a kopex gland by the looks of it that they've used!

15. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Does look like they are using the Kopex as the main Earth at first glance.

16. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

That's rough as fuk like lee said move meter to outside box I'd also put box in wall

17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I wasn't living at the flat when the work was going on. Just had phone call from WPD saying that the would be in a separate supply for me so if they cut power to downstairs then I wouldn't be affected. Wasn't thinking about installation methods at the times but really should have met them and go over the proposed route etc so I am partly to blame.

Just thought I would take pictures awhile the work was going on so I knew where cables were if I ever dig in that area and for reference.

In the loft the conduit is clipped to the roof rafters, so they have left quite a bit of cable should it need altering and not just taken the shortest route.

Will try and get some more pictures later on.

I am thinking I may build a small porch and have the box recessed or even inside if possible. I know with gas meters there are different types available and the one fitted seems rather protruding for what is inside a 1100mm depth one would have been more then adequate.

My question was really on the service head where the N and L come out. There are 2 blanks pu in the hole. So effectively another cable could come off this for another supply? Obviously it would need its own meter after this or as Pollowick has suggested. Have the meter located there as well.

18. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The other thing is my water pipe comes from downstairs as well. Went into downstairs flat yesterday and the water pipe is running straight up the wall. Think I may get this rerouted as well. This will be another thread or project :D

19. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Sure sounds like you've got your work cut out! Its great that you're able to tackle these jobs, either yourself or get trades in, most people don't have the faintest idea of where to start or even think about such things.

20. Gluggy

Gluggy Active Member

Just a thought but if the people downstairs like to "borrow" electricity and the garden is shared(?) would sockets fed from your meter be a temptation too far....