New Electrical Supply

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jitender, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

[​IMG]

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Another one hit by Photobucket decision to stop allowing links to images placed on their servers. Unless you want to pay A large amount per year!

3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Yeh, its freaking annoying...I use flickr for all my photos and put links on here to them.

4. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Trying to be constructive here, the box fitted is intended to be fitted flush, let into the wall through the first brick skin. You could just draw around the box with chalk, take the box off the wall without disturbing the electrical connections, cut the hole as marked and then recess the box. Fix it to the brickwork with 2 screws either side through the sides. All of the cable used have flexibility so can be moved around, just take a bit of care, perhaps tie up the box while you cut out the wall. It's a lot of work for little return and if you are not an electrician, you may feel that it's a job too far. You will also need the permission of your neighbour to cut a hole in his outside wall.

5. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Surface box for sure.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Have a look at this link, great for posting photo's, gives you a selection of ways to post, link, direct link,etc. plus you can change size.

https://postimages.org/

7. Lectrician

Tinypic is great for one off uploads, but as the forum allows attachments, just attach the file to your post.

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

This is from inside. Fuse is 80A.
    upload_2017-7-19_20-35-33.png

upload_2017-7-19_20-39-42.png

In loft conduit has been neatly clipped to roof rafters.
    upload_2017-7-19_20-35-52.png

upload_2017-7-19_20-36-0.png

Attached Files:

9. Lectrician

The red fuse is a solid link, not a fuse. Your fuse is outside. It is orange fire resistant cable, which DNOs use when running internally, or under suspended floors etc (last few years). I've never seen it run in copex though!

It is just untidy. Is the meter box on your wall? Not the other property?

This work has been carried out FOC to you to allow the other service to be disconnected if required. Looped supplies are no longer installed. The service cable cannot be concealed at any point in the run. If you want to conceal the cable, you would need to install your own submain, and have the meter placed externally.

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Meter box is on the front wall of maisonette. One option is to have a recessed box fitted and make an opening in brickwork to suit.

Or alternatively site the box around the corner so it is not visible at the front of flat. Flat is semi detached.

The conduit could be run inside the house then boxed in if this would be allowable.

11. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

That is of course an option. But would require another visit from the DNO.
    They would need to isolate the supply while the recessed box is fitted (you'll probably need a hockey stick too). and then you'll need your builder to make the hole in the brickwork.
    Then the DNO would return to reconnect. Somewhere in the process you'll also need the meter supplier to come and move the meter to the new box, if that is what you want to do.
    None of this is likely to be cheap.

12. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Ps. I think this had been asked above:

The wall on which the box is fitted, is that the wall of your property?

13. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Yes box is fitted on my flat.

I have just called WPD and they should contact me within 2 days to see what can be done.

15. Lectrician

I think what is confusing us is you say you live in a first floor maisonette, and the person below you is stealing electric. Yet the meter box is on the wall of the ground floor? Is your access to the maisonette behind that wall then? WPD will not allow you to conceal their cable, although it obviously happens quite often once they have left...

16. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Yes. Confusing as we do not know the layout, but perhaps the wall is the stairs to his upstairs maisonette, so part of his property.

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Hers.

18. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I might be reading the install completely wrong here, however, it is a strange way of running cables using flexible conduit. It would have made a neater and cheaper job, and probably stronger too, to use SWA all the way. I thought that flexible conduit was mainly used for connecting to machinery and the like in a factory. Total waste of money using it like that it must have cost a fortune. The supplementary bonding on the glands is equally as daft. Talk about finding the hardest way to do a simple job. :) I can see that the flexible conduit is probably housing some sort of straight or split concentric cable with an orange sheath (I don't know). Really bizarre.

19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Just had someone from WPD come out.

The supply installed was done in the cheapest way possible and on an emergency basis.

I have the option of leaving it as is, maybe get a concealed box in existing place. If I leave as it the hole for the cable supply in meter box need sealing, as snails are getting in :eek:

Or I can have the box put on the side of the flat.

The quote is £500 to do the work. I will have to expose the trench and refill afterwards.

From the new box position an electrician would need to install a supply cable to the consumer unit.

Not sure what cable electrician would use< and the length is about 15m run. If i decide to have it re-positioned

The meter is currently located inside the kitchen (they put down EMC on the sheet, lady didn't know what it meant. Which I think means Electrical Meter Cupboard?